CA storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

Ok, I have a good one. I know that some manufactures say to put CA glue in a jar to prevent (moisture?) from getting inside the bottle but I was told by a professional who uses and sells CA glue something different. According to this person CA glue was made to dry without the presents of air. That is why when you spill CA glue on the counter it takes much longer to dry that inside of a pen blank. He suggests that you actually leave the lid off if possible! I tried this and it worked great! I would put the lid back on at the end of the day or when I was done working and no more clogged tops or stuck lids!!!! By the time I put the lid back on the glue in the top of the tip already dripped back down into the bottle.
I have had no trouble with the thick,med or thin drying out.
It could be that I just use it before it can dry out.?
The only glue so far this DID NOT work with is the flexable CA glue. It began to get even thicker.
I would like to see what everyone else thinks.
Alice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Check out this link. This is a chemically sound description, backed up by numerous manufacturers of CA glues. Humidity DEFINITELY is a fact in storing CA glue. Most manufacturers will tell you that the optimum storage is at 40 degrees Fahrenheit with low humidity, 30% or less. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2000&whichpage=1#13055

ryannmphs

I will agree that humidity will effect CA. Living in TN you almost need a set of gills to survive the summers. If I leave my CA in the garage, er shop, withing a few days it wil get thicker and withing a couple of weeks it will be a solid piece. I now have a plastic jar that has some descicant in it and I have not had any problems.

Ryan

elody21

Illinois summers can get very humid. Not like Ca or TN. Maybe it is because my shop is in the basement of my home and we have a dehumidifier going whenever needed. It kicks in when it starts to get humid. Could that be it?

C. Scott

Here's another link regarding CA glue.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm

I live in Pearland, TX which is a suburb of Houston. I think I now know why my CA glue dried up so quick. I will give some serious consideration to the "dry chamber" for storing the glue. BTW, I kinda chuckle when I hear people say where they live is humid. [;)]

Regards [:)],

Chris

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Check out this link. This is a chemically sound description, backed up by numerous manufacturers of CA glues. Humidity DEFINITELY is a fact in storing CA glue. Most manufacturers will tell you that the optimum storage is at 40 degrees Fahrenheit with low humidity, 30% or less. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2000&whichpage=1#13055

Kind of like in the fridge where I keep mine and have been keeping it for years?

elody21

Thanks for all of your replies! I guess I am lucky to have a nice dry work shop!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Funny you should ask, Mudder. That's exactly where one of the manufacturers I work with suggested!

More years ago than I care to admit I worked for a place that used CA by the gallon. The brand we used was eastmon 910 (not sure if it is made anymore). Anyway we had a fridge that we bought just to store the adhesive in as recommended by tha manufacturer. I got a little fridge at a tag sale years ago and use it to store my adhesives, and a six or two of Sam Adams .[8D]

Gregory Huey

I live in MD during the winter months I leave the CA out with out a cap. In the summer MOnths I put the cap back on. Since I started doing The BLO/CA finish it dose not hang around long enough to set up.

daledut

I live in North western Ohio. After reading the suggestion on the Yahoo forum, I left my lid off the CA. The lid has been off of my CA bottle for a little over a year now and I have not had any problem with the tip clogging nor with the glue hardening in the bottle.

I simply refill it from a larger bottle and keep going. I don't know the science behind it, but it works great for me so I'm sticking with it (get it sticking with it... CA glue... [:D])

Travlr7

I'm in the same area as Alice. I also leave the top off and have no trouble. I also, gently, with the bottle standing up, squeeze the bottle and let up. This actually sucks what's left in the tube back into the bottle.

Bruce[;)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Moving to a dryer climate definitely impoves the shelf life of an open bottle of CA glue. Better yet if it is also colder.

The refrigerator works because the inside of a "frost free" refrigerator is the lowest humidity in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom