CA & Silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

I have a couple ideas floating around in the big empty space I call my head, but before I start I thought I would ask a couple questions.

Has anybody tried doing any segmenting with wood and metal, and If so how did the glue bonds hold up? How well do you think it would hold up to being turned with a soft metal like silver as the segmented piece?

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Scott, I don't think there will be a problem with CA hold things together. My brass pens are pretty tough. I really attack them with a file in the lathe, and nothing has come apart yet ( touch wood )I have mixed acrylic with wood, acrylic with metal, truestone with metal.
I have tried wood and metal ( brass / aluminium ) but with poor results as the sanding / polishing residue from the metal bleeds into the wood.If I could get past that, then I would love to make more metal / wood pens. If you or anyone else has a solution for this, please let me know.[:)]

vick

I have tried silver and aluminum with wood and resin. Epoxy seems to work much better than CA with both be carefull drilling. I had the joint fall apart several times from the metal heating up while drilling and killing the glue bond. At least that is what I am blameing. I actually had better sucess with Silver than aluminum but I only did it a couple of times.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by seht
<br />Has anybody tried doing any segmenting with wood and metal, and If so how did the glue bonds hold up? How well do you think it would hold up to being turned with a soft metal like silver as the segmented piece?

Yes. Epoxy or CA.

200712203029_Bloodwood%20Aluminum%20Platinum%20Sed.jpg
<br />
Eagle-ized blank in aluminum and bloodwood.

Go slowly and watch out for sanding dust. Wear eye, nose and mouth protection.

seht

That's almost exactly what I had in mind Lou. If I could get that to work, I was going to try for a tree look with branches being done in silver on a dark wood, possibly something dyed dark green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom