CA Shelf Life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I finally got some time to get back out in my shop to turn a couple of pens and I find that my CA glue has thickened to the point it will not come out of the bottle. This is a reoccurring problem for me. Every time I but a 10-ounce bottle, I use about 1/4/ to 1/3 of the bottle and it hardens up (usually within 5-6 months from opening. I realize that this is the result of my not using it as often as others who get more time in their shops, but there has to be a way to store this stuff so that it doesn't harden up so quickly. So, I'm asking two questions.

1. How to you folks prevent this from happening from you?
2. What is your favorite brand of CA and where to you buy it from?

I know that the brand is personal preference, but I am very interested in learning from some of the more experienced people here on IAP.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I find that it helps to store my CA in the fridge. . Wife doesn't like me doing that though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I store mine in my shop, in the basement. It is my BELIEF (I have not consulted with experts) that the humidity is the major factor. During the summer, the glue thickens--during the winter it is much more stable.

Yes, putting it in the refrigerator will help (but then, the humidity is nearly eliminated in "frost-free" refrigeration.)

FWIW,
Ed

RobS

Place in glass jar with a desiccant pack inside the beer fridge. Bam no humidity and stable temp.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I believe most manufacturers list an unopen bottle shelf life of 1-2 years. As Ed said, humidity is the main problem with open bottles. If you store it in the fridge, let it come to room temp before you open it so condensation does not form on the inside of the bottle.
What some people do is buy a large bottle of CA and divide it into several 1-2oz bottles and store these smaller bottle in the fridge, taking one at a time out as it's needed.

edstreet

I finally got some time to get back out in my shop to turn a couple of pens and I find that my CA glue has thickened to the point it will not come out of the bottle. This is a reoccurring problem for me. Every time I but a 10-ounce bottle, I use about 1/4/ to 1/3 of the bottle and it hardens up (usually within 5-6 months from opening. I realize that this is the result of my not using it as often as others who get more time in their shops, but there has to be a way to store this stuff so that it doesn't harden up so quickly. So, I'm asking two questions.

1. How to you folks prevent this from happening from you?
2. What is your favorite brand of CA and where to you buy it from?

I know that the brand is personal preference, but I am very interested in learning from some of the more experienced people here on IAP.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Jim Smith

This is normal and expected. See my below response to this very problem last week.

CA does have a shelf life. Standard ECA is about 5-6 months. Other like methox has a shelf life of 1 1/2 to 2 years. When CA ages it does thicken. This is one way you can tell the difference. When you see a new bottle vs an old bottle the old bottle will always be thicker. Thicker does not mean better in this case.

CA has additives which makes it higher viscosity from the factory, essentially it's the same ingredients as in casting resin. This is what we refer to as 'thin', 'medium', 'thick', 'super thin' and the like. This is the difference, thin has the least casting agents in it while thick has the most. From this if you want to seal then use in, if you want to fill then use something thicker.

From this logic you can deduce that a thicker CA that is flexible and a slow polymerization factor would be a superior finish that is not brittle.

As for what you have I am not sure the brand but it's pushing the window so do yourself and your clients a favor, toss it in the trash and buy a good label, good material that is fresh and problem free.

Hope this helps. ....

Brand is not really a personal preference, it is more science and technical fact than personal belief, opinion or preference. If you were to make a chart and detail list the benefits of each label you will find some very shocking things.

As for details on CA see my article here.

CA Finishing 101

jttheclockman

The answer is do not order such big containers. You think you are saving money but in the long run you are wasting money. Buy smaller containers such as 2 or 4 ounce bottles and store some in the freezer. Use what you need and if you have to discard some it won't be as disastrous. I ran into this when I became ill and could not go into the shop. Prior to that I was always working in the shop. But after a little over 2 years when I recently returned had to throw away CA, carpenters glue by the large gallon jugs and so forth. It all has shelf life as well as we do:)

bpgoldo

how to get the most life out of a bottle of CyA glue

Like the guys before listed, it is humidity that kicks the glue over. Store it in a bag with a couple of dessicant bags and that seems to work for me.

duncsuss

I won a large quantity of CA in the birthday bash earlier this year and was concerned that shelf-life would be an issue, so I did the unthinkable -- contacted the manufacturer and asked them how to store it.

They were very helpful, and told me that for their brand (2P-10) the optimum storage conditions were between 35 and 45 degrees, so I looked on Craigslist and bought a cheap mini fridge.

MTViper

Have a dorm fridge in the shop with water and CA glue in it. CA has stayed much fresher since I started this. I only buy 2 oz bottles though

ken ledger

I use thick CA and store it in the fridge 3c temp, last for months.
Moisture/water sets CA just about instantly, we used water on model car tyres when racing and it was an instant set for CA. Does not look to pretty though.

Top Bottom