CA sensitivity question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I think I have used my last drop of CA. I was gluing some tubes outside because the fumes of CA tend to make my eyes water. This time my eyes and nose started burning bad and it lasted for at least an hour. I know I can use Epoxy and usually do unless I am in a hurry which I was but the burn put an end to that session.

My question is this, is this type of reaction normal or is it indicative of some bigger issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a tough question. I know the fumes that come off CA while it cures are really not pleasant, I had to stop using it. The good news is that you don't have to stop making pens because of it. I stopped months and months ago using CA. My nose was always stuffed up and I felt terrible. After I stopped using CA within a month or so I cleared up. I used some CA the other day can caught a few fumes and my nose is still stuffed up. I use WoodDoctors pen finish now and it works great.

ElMostro

Be careful it only gets worse from here. That is how I started and now if I use it (even with a VOC respirator) I get a really bad rash and pretty severe flu like symptoms for about 5 days. I thought the respirator would help but apparently the fumes were still entering my system through my eyes. And I am not talking doing a CA finish, just trying to glue in tubes and with a fan blowing and the respirator on it still gets me.

PS. If I use CA and accelarator it is even worse.
Eugene

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
It's normal...unfortunately. The exothermic reaction caused by curing releases a VOC gas on the application site and also the application device; paper towel, cotton cloth, so on. This gas reacts badly with mucous membranes. Under no circumstance should you ever find yourself in a place to inhale the fumes! A fan, VOC rated respirator (Trend isn't) or a OSHA rated vacuum hood are reasonable precautions and there is no reason at all why one or more should not be in play whenever useing CA or any other VOC.

healeydays

That is a tough question. I know the fumes that come off CA while it cures are really not pleasant, I had to stop using it. The good news is that you don't have to stop making pens because of it. I stopped months and months ago using CA. My nose was always stuffed up and I felt terrible. After I stopped using CA within a month or so I cleared up. I used some CA the other day can caught a few fumes and my nose is still stuffed up. I use WoodDoctors pen finish now and it works great.

Where do you get WoodDoctors?

Cool CB&D about using this too. I love the stuff. If you experiment a bit you can get a really good finish. I just ordered my second bottle of it. Doctors Wood Shop finishes are great. I also use the walnut old anyone else use that too?

Look for BSI-inc CA glu I have used them for over 2 years and have never had a problem. Just ask for odorless CA. I think their site is bsi-inc.com

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

nava1uni

I use walnut oil to sand with as it keeps the saw dust down. CA can permanently burn your lungs. If you are going to use it you should have a fan blowing the fumes away from you, as well as, a dust collector pulling the fumes off the piece. There are lots of finishes that do not have this caustic effect on your lungs. But you should also always wear a respirator, to protect your lungs, when using any kind of finish.

Neededwill

So this may be a dumb question but what type of respirators are best? A simple dust mask or one of those with the filters on each side?

I use one with the filters on the side. I just think they are better for long turn use. I paid about $25-30 the replacement pads are $1-2 fora set of 2 pads.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

Wildman

Had too many glue failures with CA to fool with it so use two part epoxy. Also like polyurethane but end up wasting most of it, do to hardening in container. Once became sensitive to the stuff stopped using it for finishing pens.

Often wondered if medical grade CA a better op but never bothered with it. Know they make some that requires a light source and some not. They also make medical grade epoxies & polyurethanes that do require light source to cure.

Low VOC waterborne finishes give the same plastic look and feel as CA finishes. General finishes Enduro & Wood Turners finish popular but any brand of waterborne poly should do.

Walnut oil finish will eventually dull but would not have a problem with that. Look of natural wood, feels great, and no out gassing real benefit to you and users.

Cindy, using Walnut oil to sand pretty expensive op, but if works for you that's fantastic. Can see a few benefits especially on open grain wood.

I do wet sand with water and soap on final sanding and between coats of finish. If do not like the mess take a look at good quality stearated sandpaper and wipe off any residue before applying finish..

walshjp17

... using Walnut oil to sand pretty expensive op, but if works for you that's fantastic.

Instead of walnut oil, try paste wax (Crystal is what I use) mixed 3:1 with mineral oil. Cuts down on dust and provides a good -- CHEAP -- finish. Just buff when sanding is complete. It's not a museum-grade finish but for every day items it works well.

robutacion

Interesting that I endup on this thread from some time ago, it has everything to do with CA fumes and I can tell you that, yes, they are nasty...!

I use a lot of CA, particularly the super thin one, about 1 to 2 litres each month, most of it is used in soaking some Resifills, either pen and knife blanks, I stabilize but, CA soaking has become one of my "weapons" to deal/resolve/address some of the resin/wood joints on the casts, and strengthening of blanks such as the Banksia Hairy pods Resifills.

Many of these blanks have become a lot more workable as a result but, regardless how I try to prevent exposure to fumes, I can't avoid them all and some days, if affects me considerably, particularly at night where, I simply can sleep.

One good example of extreme CA exposure, was the Acrylic bowl I finished yesterday (27/10/2014 @ 10"1/2 x 4" tall)), I endup needing 6 coats in and out to get enough layers for the smoothing/finish, it was simply too much surface to cover with CA and the resulting fumes were just too overpowering and overwhelming, even for someone like me that have been expose to paint and glue chemicals since I was a young lad.

I may have develop some "resistance" to these sort of chemicals but, this only means that, I've done considerable damage to my lungs/immune system from a young age and that the body doesn't react as much but, I know that, is certainly not going to prolong my existence/life expectancy, in any way shape or form...!

I wonder, if I ever will become allergic to things like CA, unfortunately many of the old style paints/finishes are as bad to you, as CA, maybe not as noticeable at the time. I may need to start doing some research on the odorless CA and see if it is an option for me, I would certainly opt for it, it applicable...!

Cheers
George

wyone

So when you say you SOAK in CA George, do you actually have a pot that you put the blank in with CA in it? I have used a lot of CA by multiple applications of over and over again, but never tried actually soaking. Maybe I took the term too literally

MarrArtworks

I started getting the flu like after affects if using ca. I switched to dr wood shops walnut oil for a sanding lube and his pen finish. Works great for me. Not as deep gloss as the ca was but I actually like the finish better. Keeps the wood feeling like wood.

Top Bottom