CA as a sanding sealer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

So I've done a handful of pens with the CA finish and follow Fangar's method pretty closely. The question I have is on some pens it seems like if I apply the thin CA with sandpaper and make the slurry, the dust that fills the grain turns is white. Then I have to sand down until I get it out. I specifically had this issue with Cocobolo and East indian Rosewood.

Should I just apply the thin CA, let it set and then sand until I get to wood again. This allows the thin CA to fill the grain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I always seal my pens with CA. Apply thin CA after the final cut (before sanding), then cut the excess CA with the skew then sand. Majority, if not all the pores should be filled now. If not, I repeat the process before applying the finish coat.

desert1pocket

I'm very new, so take my advice for what it's worth. I use a method similar to Fangars, but I do not use a slurry. I apply 2 coats of superthin CA, and then a coat of med CA, and then take a light skew cut and sand like Dario. If there are still spots that are un-filled, I sand, wipe w/ DNA, and apply more CA. I do this until the surface is completely flat, and all the pores/viods are filled. I then sand and finish much like the Fangar method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom