CA reaction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I typically use medium CA to glue up my pen barrels and have noticed that my eyes start to sting and a bit of discomfort in the nose. I apply my CA finish with thin and with the dust extractor going so don't notice anything there. I favour the CA gluing up process because it's fast and it generally gives good results compared to epoxy for me. Is my reaction a typical one after turning a number of pens? I have got a respirator but it's awkward to use, however I will use it if I have to. Guess the question is, is it time for me to stop using CA and find something else or I just take better precautions with protective equipment and use a fan/air-filter unit to disperse the fumes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I glue up several blanks at a time with 5 minute epoxy. By the time I have glued the last one the first one is nearly ready to turn.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just my thoughts from one who has A LOT of allergies!

YES, before anything, use a good fan blowing away and as much protective gear as you can! From my experience, once you have developed a sensitivity, it WILL NOT go away, or GET BETTER! And every time you have exposure, it will get worse.

Now... This is only my experience!

2 days ago I turned some backyard Black Walnut - arms were exposed, yup a slight rash. Today I turned more , but with a full arm, zipped Sorby turning jacket - no rash! Do whatever you need to do! Both times... Jet cyclone filter, Jet overhead air filter, full face shield.

Hope that is helpful...

Rodnall

First off, I wouldn't use the dust extractor to apply the CA. Your just sucking the fumes up and spewing them back into the air with the exhaust. I would use a good respirator for fumes and still have a fan blowing the fumes away. All of this is my opinion and not based on any studies.

Don't know if Mark is medically accurate, but if he isn't, he's got to be pretty darn close.

Yes, I get the same eyes/nose irritation on exposure. Also get a healthy dose of the sneezes and respiratory irritation when CA dust from sanding gets in my nose. So, bottom line is:

WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!

And not a gauze mask! Wear a cartridge style with activated charcoal canisters. They're readily available, don't cost a huge amount and they're fairly comfortable.

The fan is a good idea as it will push the fumes away from your face (eyes)

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Don't know if Mark is medically accurate, but if he isn't, he's got to be pretty darn close.

WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!

And not a gauze mask! Wear a cartridge style with activated charcoal canisters. They're readily available, don't cost a huge amount and they're fairly comfortable.

The fan is a good idea as it will push the fumes away from your face (eyes)

No... Probably not medically accurate, just know what has helped! Fan, Respirator (YES- Good cartridge), full arms covered... IT HAS Helped! This is a fun hobby and I want to keep it! I do not react with respiratory problems (although I have asthma from age 7), but all I have heard... when you are sensitized, you can breath the fumes and then react topically... This may be my issue...

plano_harry

I suggest you change your glue-up. I stopped using CA for glue-ups which is a pretty heavy exposure if you are sensitive.

For application, if your dust collector has enough airflow, you shouldn't have a problem. Mine exhausts outdoors, but even if you exhaust/recirculate indoors -- unless the exhaust is pointing at you, the PPM concentration should be pretty low.

That being said, if it is bothering you, then you have a problem that you need to address. A respirator with VOC (volatile organic compounds) filter should help your lungs but you will have to wear goggles as well. No experience with powered helmets.

Tiger

Thanks for the suggestions so far, i've done many CA finishes and not been affected until now so it's a bit of a shock. Dust extractor is vented outside so no issue there. I have a Triton powered respirator as well as a 2 cartridge respirator but neither is rated for VOC. I've seen plenty of good respirators on Amazon so might give it one more try. I like turning pens so if this doesn't work, i'll have to try other finishes, anything ie that is not a friction finish, the reason i got into CA finishes was because i wanted something durable and that was relatively quick to apply.

ofd8001

A Google search for the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for Cyanoacrylate may be a good thing to do.

The MSDS has a prominent warning "May cause eye and respiratory tract irritation".

The hazardous component of CA is Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylate in the toxicological information section of the MSDS. That is shown as an Irritant, Allergen and Respiratory issue for health effects. Allergens affect some people but not others.

From some of the things I've seen while researching CA finish, they say what you use to apply the CA may be an issue. For example plain old paper towels may react and start to smoke. So this "off gassing" may be a contribution.

Also the MSDS recommends against use of cotton gloves, and I imagine that "plain old" paper towels have a significant cotton content.

COM53

CA problem

Tiger, try placing a fan behind you an slightly to side to blow fumes away from your face.

ofd8001

I know a new guy here ought to keep his mouth shut and ears open, but with this being a health/safety issue. . .

A fan may be counter-productive. If the problem is a CA/applicator reaction, then a blowing fan may turn incipient combustion (the smoking part) into flaming combustion. Also if this is in an enclosed area, you'll still have the bad stuff in the atmosphere - it will be circulating around.

A better option may be a fan in a window pulling the fumes out, though for those sensitive to CA a NIOSH approved/listed respirator is the best solution.

Krash

And, wear gloves and avoid breathing fumes of the epoxy. Over time, you will also lose your tolerance for this chemical also.

I glue up several blanks at a time with 5 minute epoxy. By the time I have glued the last one the first one is nearly ready to turn.

Tiger

Tried to use ca again this time with an electric fan which was a bit unwieldy with the cord as i only have a small workshop area. I did not have a reaction this time so the fan helped. Do you think a smaller fan that is portable would suffice, this one is only 20 cm high, not as strong as my electric fan but far more convenient.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom