CA question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Farr

Hey folks..... Been a while since I posted anything. I have been working hard to save a failing business in this bad economy.
My question is, will keeping CA in the refrigerator help keep it from going bad. I use Hot Stuff and have had several bottles go bad just sitting on the shelf. Two different times I have had it EAT through the bottle and leak all over.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

I keep mine in the refrigerator. Last year keeping it in my hot shop it it got hard. I have not had any problems since it started keeping it in the refridgerator.

I buy Insta-bond glue. I've never had any go bad and the Insta-bond thick I have had for a year sitting on my shelf.

Also.... I love CA glue for minor cuts that hurt. Like papercuts and dry cracked fingers.

ldb2000

I buy my CA by the box and store it in the refrigerator . I have a couple of bottles of thin that has been in there over a year , I just took one out about 2 weeks ago and it is a fresh as when it went in . Just remember to let it warm to room temperature before you open it to avoid condensation in the bottle which could cause it to go bad .
Just wondering , I've never heard of CA eating through the bottle , was this the bottles it came in or did you break up a larger bottle ?

Don Farr

Just wondering said:
Yes, This has happened twice to me. It was in two separate locations. The first time was when I had a bottle sitting on the shelf at my work shop ( Real work shop not hobby woodworking shop) and most recently my home woodworking shop.
It makes quite the mess when it runs out everywhere and then hardens before you can catch it. It was not turned over, it ate through the bottles that it came in. If I had not cleaned it all up I would post a picture of the mess.

KenV

I get CA glue from Monte by the pint and store it in the freezer for months. He also sells the little bottles and long thin tippets -

Observation -- stores longer cold than warm -- and that seem to go along with some of the observations on chemical reactions and temperatures when I took chemisty once upon a time.

jskeen

CA reacts in a number of interesting ways to different enviroments. Unopened in the fridge it will keep a very long time. I believe that it will also keep at room temp quite a long time IF UNOPENED. The rub is once you allow air in. CA reacts with moisture in air and slowly starts to thicken. Keep in mind I live in Houston, average ambient humidity is over 80% in the summer, and my shop is not air conditioned. YMMV. CA will also completely set if closed. These two things seem to be contradictory, but I've seen it both ways. Open the bottle and leave it open and it gets thick after a month or so. open it, put the cap back on and the tip will be completely clogged with rock hard CA overnight. My solution is to buy in 1 oz bottles several at a time and keep in the fridge till the one I'm using starts to go bad, I usually get to use about 3/4 before it starts to noticeably change. I learned the hard way that slightly thickened thin CA is not the same as a fresh bottle of medium ca. Once it starts to go bad, pitch it or you will pull your hair out wondering why your finishes aren't working, and why your tubes won't stay put.

I get all mine from Monty and have for years, btw.

Don Farr

Thank you for everyones replies. I learned some very help tips that I will be sure to apply. Although I have already ordered 2 oz bottles to replace what has gone bad. I will remember jskeen's tip about purchasing 1oz bottles next time.

Top Bottom