CA Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewfGuy

I know a lot of you glue your segmented blanks together with CA. I've tried gluing several types of wood together with CA, and they never stick! What am I doing wrong? I'm using Special "T" CA from Woodcraft. I've tried gluing a piece of walnut to a piece of pine. I've tried purpleheart to maple, and I've tried walnut to walnut, and it never seems to want to stick together.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I can't remember if Special "T" is thin or thick. If it is thin it probably isn't getting enough adhesion. Try using a medium or thick, or better yet, wood glue.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It could be that your wood is too dry on the surface. Touch your tongue to one or both pieces (before applying the glue)and it should work better.

Spit is cheaper, but you could also use an accelerator to tack the joint after it is assembled. That will clamp the pieces together and start the reaction that will then migrate into the joint. You could also put the CA glue on one side of the joint and spray the other with an accelerator, but you will have to be quick once the surfaces contact each other.

NewfGuy

The Special "T" that I have is the Medium. I'll try dampening the joints a little on a couple of test pieces. I have been just using Titebond III, but I thought I may be able speed things up a little by using CA instead. Plus, using CA would eliminate any "incompatabilities" with the CA finish.

DocRon

Newfguy
Some of the oilier woods like cocobolo or olive can be difficult. One trick I have used is to wipe the cut surface with acetone immediately before applying the CA, then press together. As mentioned above, a little spritz of accelerator on the joined pieces then completes the job.

wudnhed

I use medium CA and let the piece sit over night, probably not necessary but I do it anyway. I've only had one segment come apart while drilling but I just glued it back together. I put thin CA over the piece before getting down to desired shape with tools, also before and after sanding. I'm only doing simple segments and may have more trouble as they get more elaborate.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Waiting overnight is not a bad thing to do. CA glue sets up to about 75-80% of total strength within what we see as its cure time of a few minutes. That last 20% will take up to 24 hours.

mick

I've never had any luck using thin CA and only some luck using medium CA. I use thick CA on all my glue ups. I've had the best luck by gluing one of the pieces and then rubbing the other piece into it, spreading the glue. Then I'll pull it apart and let the air get to the glue and then it's back together. I'm not sure this is necessary but it works for me. After I get it positioned like I want it I hit it with just a small shot of accelerator and you're good to go! I've never had a glue up come apart using this method.

bradh

CA is one of those glues that dries slower in thick layers. Try to squeeze the joint together as much as you can such as applying a clamp. Just be careful the glue doesn't run out and glue the clamp to the wood. Not that I have ever had that happen to me.[:)]
Brad Harding

NewfGuy

Thanks everyone. I tried a couple of scrap pieces this morning, and moisture (or lack of it) seemed to be the problem. I wet the wood a little bit before I glued two pieces together. In about 15 minutes, I could not pull them apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom