CA problems in the wintertime

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wright_714

Now that it has gotten cold, I have noticed that my CA finishes are getting more difficult. I am getting the hazy rough spots that I have heard a lot of people here say they get when they use this finish. Any tips on why this might be or what I can do to avoid it? I just ended up shearing the first few layers off with my skew and starting over......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I keep the coats of CA as thin as I can get them and use more coats. So far this is working for me. I also lower my lathe lamp as close as I can get it. The little heat that it throws off seems to help.

fernhills

My shop is in the basement part that is not heated, it gets damp but does not freeze. I have the collet chuck, when i put a coat of c/a on i take the whole mandrel off and bring it upstairs and let it dry there, then i take it down again, about 6 to 8 times. I am in no rush to get-er-done, I`m an old retired fart. Carl

Gary Beasley

I have a forced air electric heater on the floor blowing towards my legs while I work. The rising heat seems to do the job for the CA especially when the dust collector is running and pulling that warmed air over the mandrel while I work.

aggromere

I'm in Florida and it is beginning to turn, what people here think is cold. When I have CA finish issues, i go back to just using thin CA, do a couple of coats and this mist with accelerator. Then repeat until it's finished. Since I mostly do pens with cigar labels on them I find that when I try to use medium or thick and don't get it perfect, I end up with small pockets at the edge of the bands. With thin it takes longer but the results are better. At least for me.

Top Bottom