CA problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4knf

After applying CA to a set of turned blanks I sand them down till they are shinny and smooth - then I have a problem.

How do you get the bushings off the blanks? Mine are always glued together and if I am not careful pulling them off takes part of the finish of the pen.

I've heard coating the bushing in wax helps but it doesnt seem like its enough to help prevent this problem. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I wax my bushings and yes it only helps to a degree but not totally eliminate the problem.

I read that Fangar made some bushings that are probably made of delrin to avoid this. I am planning on doing the same when I got round 2 it [:D].

For now I make sure to trim excess CA on the bushing using my parting too and separate them the bushing from the blanks before sanding. I take them off and tap the bushings GENTLY to the lathe bed...rotating slowly until they separate.

Not teh best way but works for me.

Jerryconn

I think the only sure fire method is to make some bushings out of Delrin. I coat my bushings with a good coat of wax, then in between the CA coats I break the bushings loose them the blanks. When I start with the thick CA I put another coat of wax on the bushings. In the end I use a utility knife to score at the bushing to blank joint, them pull them apart. Then soak the bushing in acyetone afterwards(sp).

kf4knf

Dario, if you remove the CA before the pen sanding is finished wouldn't you tend to oversand the ends because it because a somewhat sharp angle. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I will give it a try. I have resisted the urge to do this in the past thinking the CA might chip using the parting tool.

Dario

When making the cut...just be gentle, it should cut the CA into a really fine white thread like material. I do turn fast so I cannot really cut too much anyway.

Oversanding may happpen...both with or without the CA on the bushing. I really like it without since I want to have the finish flush with the pen kit anyway. That way I actually can see how far I am from the target..without using the caliper as often.

Good luck!!!

angboy

I've seen people refer to putting wax on their bushings and I have always wondered how that works? If you're sanding and happen to wander over even a slight amount of the bushings, then wouldn't it just mix the wax into the pen blank? Or if you were doing something like putting the CA glue on to fill voids or seal the wood, aren't you going to run into the same thing? It just seems to me like wax wouldn't be stiff enough to stay in place?

Why haven't any of the companies that make pen kits and bushings gone to using delrin to make the bushings? Or how come no one on here wants to embark on that? [:D] Personally, it does seem like a good idea, but I'd never feel like I could get them measured to the right size, and it's one of those things I'd much rather pay someone to do for me!

airrat

I use an exacto knife to cut the bushing loose. Tap the bushing lighting on the table to break it loose from the blank. Then I sand the end of the blank lightly to clean off any CA for a flush fitting. Then soak the bushing in Acetone. Even with waxing I was having to cut the bushings off.

Jerryconn

I have a set of bushing I made with some teflon material that I use for one of the pen styles I make to try out before making more. I swap off the metal bushing soon as I am ready to start the CA finish with the teflon ones. Once I am ready to start snading the CA finish I take off the teflon bushing and replace them with the metal ones. It doesn't take but a few seconds to swap the bushing. You still need to cut the built CA before removing the bushings to prevent breaking the CA off the end of the blank, but it seems to work pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom