CA and plastics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

What types of plastics do not glue with CA? Teflon, UMHW, Delrin.... I need to make a jig for repeating assembly of wood parts that will be glued with CA. I want to find a plastic that can hold the parts for gluing but resist the CA.

el_d

What types of plastics do not glue with CA? Teflon, UHMW, Delrin.... I need to make a jig for repeating assembly of wood parts that will be glued with CA. I want to find a plastic that can hold the parts for gluing but resist the CA.

Yes...Havent tried teflon though.

gr8danish

CA will sort of stick to all plastics, though the bond is not very strong in a lot of cases.

If you are repetitiously glueing wooden parts together, I would actually reccomend using Titebond-III and making your fixture out of polished aluminum. I have had GREAT success doing this for 360 Herringbone blanks.

The Titebond holds up REALLY well (the bond is actually stronger than the surrounding wood), and it doesn't stick to the polished aluminum at all.

The only drawback is that it takes Titebond about 15 min to set enough to remove it from the fixture, so you will end up making multiple fixtures in order to be time effective.

Top Bottom