CA not taking to wood...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I am working with a manzanita root burl and went to put some CA on it and it was like putting water an wax paper. It just beaded up and flew off. In my short time I have never seen anything like it.
Should I just skip CA and go to MM and finish? Probably do at FP and TSW, or ?

TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Kevin I would either try wiping it down with alcohol first and then do the ca again or I would use and sanding sealer and Enduro. The last thing that I personally would do is use friction polish, it just will not last. Another thing that I have done with extra oily blanks is to sand with MM and then do a BLO finish, let it dry for a day or so then buff it and top it off with Ren wax.

Wayne

dubdrvrkev

When you say buff it, should I try the Beall on it then follow with Ren wax? I don't have Ren wax would TSW work as a good sub or..?

I don't know anything about the Manzanita wood and couldn't find any information in a quick search.

Dario

I have some manzanita and I would say it is one of the best wood we have. You can also use mineral spirits in lieu of alcohol. I finished some pens with Tung oil and it just "glowed".

dubdrvrkev

I am amazed by the colors and figure in this wood. I was given a small root section and was able to get a few pieces from it and a few new photo aids. One set of barrels has a few voids that I am not sure how to deal with yet. They are too large for the CA fill, and I have never done any other methods although this are the largest voids I've ever had to deal with. I was thinking about some sort of colored resin, but I am not sure where to go with it.

Dario

The price we have to pay...voids and sometimes embedded rocks. I turned a natural edge bowl from one bone dry manzanita burl and I can easily say it was my most difficult piece to date...but well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom