To CA or not to CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MaestroAM

I haven't turned that many acrylic blanks, however I am noticing that some people talk about putting CA polish on their finished acrylic pen.

I've been sanding with micro mesh pads and using One Step Acrylic polish - seems to do a rather nice job.

Do the coats of CA add that much more luster to the finish of an acrylic? Or is there a durability benefit perhaps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I love my CA finish on wood, but there is no reason to put CA over acrylic. It does not add anything to the look or durability of the finish.

The one reason I can think of would be if you overturned the blank and need to build it back up to the correct size.

Last edited:

WriteON

The pads and One Step are just right. I'm not a fan of CA regardless. Bad to work with indoors without ventilation. Also had a paper towel catch fire with applying. My mistake but that can get ugly.

Like Jeff I put it on acrylics when applying decals. I had some ca covering a decal on Corian, then when I looked at it about a month later the ca was cracked so use caution.

The fire thing interest me, is this really possible?

WriteON

Like Jeff I put it on acrylics when applying decals. I had some ca covering a decal on Corian, then when I looked at it about a month later the ca was cracked so use caution.

The fire thing interest me, is this really possible?

I was told to use Blue not White towels. Please research this. The towel ignited in my hand. The heat builds up real fast....

Last edited:

BSea

I have used CA to get a better shine on alumilite. It worked, but I think my problem was old mm pads. I now use the beall buffing wheels, so no problem there.

You might be thinking of people using CA with embedded objects like coffee beans. You need CA to seal the embedded objects, and get an even finish to the pen.

Top Bottom