CA and Humidity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Moosewatcher

Water makes a great accelerator. Had to make a couple of pens yesterday but my shop has no air conditioning and the humidity here was very high. I apply CA with a piece of paper towel. Sometimes I wear gloves, sometimes I do not. I rarely have problems applying CA but right away I had problems. Could barely get it on there before towel would smoke, finger got hot, and CA started to set. Well I kept attempting it until finally a piece of paper towel stuck to my hand and burned a nice piece of skin off. Not satisfied, I put on a vinyl glove and kept at it until both the paper towel and the vinyl glove went up in smoke and burned me again. I could have used some of those little plastic baggies the pen parts come in but that would have been admitting defeat. I do admit to being a dummie for burning myself twice, but I really marveled at how such a tiny bit of water could make that CA go off like that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

I place a piece of double folded wax paper on my index finger and apply the CA finish. Keep a paper towel handy to wipe off any excess CA glue if you get carried away. Acetone works well to remove the CA glue if you dampen a paper towel and wipe the skin.

Dave

ctubbs

Some paper towels work better than others. The best I have found are the brown paper napkins from Taco Bell. They are the most consistent and accelerate the CA the lest. YMMV. Also you might look into a slower CA in situations like this.
Charles

rizaydog

It is true that paper products have accelerators in them. I am not sure what they are. I have noticed faster/slower setting times with different paper towels.

I have burnt and tore off skin from my fingers countless times and I wear gloves 99% of the time. Sometimes it just happens, especially if you use the thin CA. It tends to go right through the paper towel. Try some thick if you have it. Just make one pass across the barrel to smooth it out and try to go as fast as you can.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The towels I prefer are either the white or blue Scott shop towels. They are thicker and more "cottony"(???) than kitchen paper towels.

Moosewatcher

Some paper towels work better than others. The best I have found are the brown paper napkins from Taco Bell. They are the most consistent and accelerate the CA the lest. YMMV. Also you might look into a slower CA in situations like this.
Charles

OK, I'll do lunch every day at Taco Bell so I can get some of those CA applicators.:wink:

Top Bottom