CA Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

68plymouth

I turned a couple of pens this weekend and when I trimmed the ends with a barrel trimmer the the blank broke loose from the metal tube. I'm using medium CA glue to put the blank and tube together. Does anyone have a suggestion for another product? This in not the first time this has happened. Also, my barrel trimmer basically destroyed a couple of my spaulted blanks. The trimmer i use is carbide tipped. Is there something that will do a better job than a standard trimmer?

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Always a good idea to liberally apply thin CA to the ends of a spalted or otherwise soft blank a day before end milling . That allows the CA to penetrate deeply into the end grain , thereby hardening the wood . Use accelerator if you are impatient , but the end result may not be as good .

bgio13

I switched to using 15 minute epoxy for gluing tubes after a few tubes ended up stuck halfway out the blank. I found that using ca I never got good glue coverage because I was afraid of not getting the tube in all the way. I also use Gorilla Glue to glue in tubes for razors because of it being waterproof, (not sure how the epoxy would hold up, but should be ok) but make sure you clamp the blank or the tube will be pushed out (don't ask). Hope this helps,

Bill

jttheclockman

Dave go to the disc sander method and switch to epoxy on the glue. Try using the search feature here for ways to do sanding using a disc sander and also see some jigs used to hold the blanks properly. I always hate doing this to newbies but there is so much typing that these topics have been discussed many many times and if you will take abit of time to read them and then come back with specific questions it would help us to help you better. Don't read into this as a snub just is easier for all.

68plymouth

Dave go to the disc sander method and switch to epoxy on the glue. Try using the search feature here for ways to do sanding using a disc sander and also see some jigs used to hold the blanks properly. I always hate doing this to newbies but there is so much typing that these topics have been discussed many many times and if you will take abit of time to read them and then come back with specific questions it would help us to help you better. Don't read into this as a snub just is easier for all.
Thanks John. I looked up CA in the topics section but I didn't think to look up sanding. I'll take another look.

68plymouth

I switched to using 15 minute epoxy for gluing tubes after a few tubes ended up stuck halfway out the blank. I found that using ca I never got good glue coverage because I was afraid of not getting the tube in all the way. I also use Gorilla Glue to glue in tubes for razors because of it being waterproof, (not sure how the epoxy would hold up, but should be ok) but make sure you clamp the blank or the tube will be pushed out (don't ask). Hope this helps,

Bill
I'll give it a try. Seems like with me CA doesn't stick or the tube get stuck half way in. I'll try Gorilla glue for my next set of blanks and check the topics list for glues.
Thanks dave

bensoelberg

+1 on the disc sander. People have posted a number of different methods that they use to accomplish this. I have a couple simple jigs that I use, both on and off the lathe. Feel free to PM me for more information, if you'd like it.

Mac

Some woods soak up all the ca leaving nothing to glue the pieces together. After drilling blank put thin ca down the hole, let dry this will soak into the wood. Then glue in your tube. First check to for dry fit sometimes thin will react and cause a rise inside of blank. If this happens run bit down again. I do this by hand to cut any ca off the inside of blank. When I want it done, I want it done now. I am not going to wait around for glue to dry.

Robert Taylor

another thing to think about is that ca glue starts to fail at 165 degrees. in most cases you are about 70 degrees when you start to mill and it won't take long for the friction from the spinning mill to get the temp of the tube up towards 165 degrees thus the glue joint may fail even if you did have good coverage. best advice has been given the the previous posts.

glycerine

Are you sanding the outside of the brass tubes before you glue? They need to be "roughed up" first, so make sure you are doing that. I have never had problems with CA as long as the tubes have been sanded...

Dave Turner

I'm another one who gave up using a pen mill after ruining a few blanks. I now use a disc sander (bought my belt/disc sander from Harbor Freight for $50). Works great and is fast. I just used double-sided tape to attach a scrap of hardwood onto the miter gauge that came with the sander and use that to keep the blank square to the disc. If the blank is irregular, I turn it round before drilling on the lathe. I use my shop vac for dust collection from the tiny sander dust port.

68plymouth

+1 on the disc sander. People have posted a number of different methods that they use to accomplish this. I have a couple simple jigs that I use, both on and off the lathe. Feel free to PM me for more information, if you'd like it.
Great! I'll take you up on that offer. I'm looking at different sanders. I found a ricon at woodcraft for around $100. Biggest worry for me is getting a square bed. Is this a good buy or shouls I plan on spending more? Feel free to chime in.

Dave

68plymouth

Are you sanding the outside of the brass tubes before you glue? They need to be "roughed up" first, so make sure you are doing that. I have never had problems with CA as long as the tubes have been sanded...
yup.....My garage is below 50f . Do you think a low temp could be causing my problem with CA?

68plymouth

I'm another one who gave up using a pen mill after ruining a few blanks. I now use a disc sander (bought my belt/disc sander from Harbor Freight for $50). Works great and is fast. I just used double-sided tape to attach a scrap of hardwood onto the miter gauge that came with the sander and use that to keep the blank square to the disc. If the blank is irregular, I turn it round before drilling on the lathe. I use my shop vac for dust collection from the tiny sander dust port.

Sounds good. I never though of turning and out of square blank round before sanding the ends. I think I'm getting caught up on the issue of keeping the blank square with the sander and then getting caught up in the decision on which sander to buy!

Jgrden

yup.....My garage is below 50f . Do you think a low temp could be causing my problem with CA?

What model '68 Plymouth; fury, GTX ?
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

68plymouth

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Oh how I wish! 1968 Plymouth Signet 4 Door 225 6cyl. Rebuilt the carb and I can smoke the tires. Wife made me sell it because she said it was "Ugly".

Jgrden

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Oh how I wish! 1968 Plymouth Signet 4 Door 225 6cyl. Rebuilt the carb and I can smoke the tires. Wife made me sell it because she said it was "Ugly".

She's right. :eek:

But in all fairness. These cars can be made to look good with the right set of wheels and upgrades.

And in all fairness to my father, who passed. He lost his right arm in a farm accident. Then Plymouth came out with its first Valiant/Signant the automatic transmission shift control was located on the LEFT side of the steering wheel. It was like this car was made for him and he loved it. Mom hated it. What is it with women and these cars??? Guess I need to talk to her, she is still alive and on the West Coast, far away from me. :cowboy:

Top Bottom