CA Glue vs Epoxy for Gluing Tubes in Blanks and Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

k3usr

+1 for Gorilla Glue. the little bit that gets in the end of the tube sometimes I remove with a few strokes of a small round file.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

The blanks were left overnight and this morning I began to true up the ends. On 2 of the 14 (interestingly it was 2 halves of the same blank) the tube separated from the blank while trimming.

I am sure there could have been something stupid I did but for the life of me I can see what. I think I am going back to CA. I have had a few blow outs with CA glued blanks but I put that down to poor skew technique on my part and probably not enough glue.

You live in Phoenix. And, as your sig says, "it's a dry heat." I've used Gorilla Glue without any problems on about a dozen pens. I scuff the tubes, wipe 'em down with alcohol. I run a wet Q-Tip through the blank, making sure that the entire inside of the blank is moistened. This also serves to get any residual dust out of the blank. I use another Q-Tip to smear Gorilla Glue inside, then slip the tube in. (The tube does have plugs in both ends.) Set the whole thing down on wax paper (foam out can get messy) and move onto the next one. If you're concerned about tube movement (it can happen), just put painter's tape over the ends of the blank. Like you, I live in the land of dry, which is why I moisten the inside of the blank. IF you don't, then there may not be enough moisture for the Gorilla Glue to cure properly.

It IS messier than CA, but no problems with sticking your own fingers together, no problems with getting the mix ratio right like Epoxy needs, no problems with CA sensitivity.

schapekop0701

Done the first dozen with CA glue.(bison)
2 of them gone wrong.After curing fr 2 hours.
Now i'm using epoxy and let cure for at least 12 hours.

jttheclockman

Done the first dozen with CA glue.(bison)
2 of them gone wrong.After curing fr 2 hours.
Now i'm using epoxy and let cure for at least 12 hours.

Peter welcome to the site. As you are experiencing there are learning curves to what we do. The options and methods used by others are just suggestions because what may work for them may not for you. So you continue to try different things till you settle on something that is nearly full proof and then soon you will be adding your findings to the list when this question comes up again and it will. Good luck and happy turning. :)

howsitwork

Well having read it all so far....

I use 24hr araldite epoxy ( structural adhesive). This stays fluid for about 2 hours working time and I do a batch of tubes. I do scuff up the tubes with sand paper first then wipe with Cellulose thinners on tissue, get grease off and smells nice ( am I allowed to say that with HSE?). I use Blu tac to bung the tubes before inserting ( not sure what's that's called over the pond). You can then push out set epoxy and use a counter bore to square up the ends. I leave to set in a warm place overnight and clean up next day. I like the way the epoxy fills any slight gaps . Also having once taken a split blank apart with heat The epoxy gave a really good even coating. I should mention always revolve when inserting to get a good spread and remove air. I also use a Mcdonalds coffee stirrer (other brands are available also free!) to apply glue into the blank and let it soak in for a minute or so before inserting the tubes ( hence need to plug tube ends or it takes ages to clean up!). Dental probes are great for removing chunks of hard epoxy in the blank ( if that's a issue anytime )

Have tried CA but once had a tube stick to the blank, then to me! Lots of cursing +acetone and a rethink later moved to epoxy.

For Lignum Vitea I swab the hole with cellulose first as, ( even though the wood was 50years old from a bowling ball) it was full of oil and a challenge to drill. Only time I have ever had to ream the hole with a larger drill to get the tube to slide in ! No finish needed as it burnishes up to semi gloss with a cotton rag after sanding through the grades.

Bit early but Happy New Year one and all !

Ian

Woodchipper

Interesting as my reply will bring it to the top. Here's my take on CA and epoxy adhesives. I might mention that I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
I built custom fishing rods for eight years. I used Two Ton epoxy to glue reel seats and grips to the rod blank; 30 minute set up. I used a five minute epoxy at first and almost didn't get the grip on in time. A lot lot of rod builders didn't care for Gorilla glue as it expanded and called for a major clean up. However, it struck me that in pen making, the expansion would be of benefit to fill in gaps between the tube and the blank. I use Titebond Thick CA for inserting tubes at this time. Don't like to mix epoxy. Takes too long and CA is ready to go in minutes. I do let a fresh glued tube/blank sit for several minutes before turning.
BTW, I have learned a lot from being on the forum for just a few days. Thanks.

tonylumps

When you guys use that Gorilla stuff does the Gorilla come a see you??? Too many commercials. You know pl2000 and liquid nails is also a very strong glue and will hold as much if not more that GG Maybe the pen turners should start looking into those glues. Never seen anyone ever mention these glues. :biggrin::biggrin:

I have been a carpenter for 20 years. Mostly commercial work.Half of the interior of high rise buildings in Philadelphia are held together with PL 2000.

jttheclockman

When you guys use that Gorilla stuff does the Gorilla come a see you??? Too many commercials. You know pl2000 and liquid nails is also a very strong glue and will hold as much if not more that GG Maybe the pen turners should start looking into those glues. Never seen anyone ever mention these glues. :biggrin::biggrin:

I have been a carpenter for 20 years. Mostly commercial work.Half of the interior of high rise buildings in Philadelphia are held together with PL 2000.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:That is some strong stuff. It is holding the backboard of my service panel up. No nails just the glue. been there for over 35 years now:biggrin:

Top Bottom