CA Glue Temperatures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dickhob

I've tried several searches for CA Glue, and found nothing! I know thats wrong cause I've read plenty of posts (mostly finishing). Anyway, I've got a question-

My shop is in my garage in CT. Right now it says 40deg, but it sure doesn't feel like it- more like half that. I do have some heat, but it never gets like a nice warm basement.

I know I can take blanks inside and glue them up, but how much effect does temperature (of the glue, the wood, the air) have on this stuff? I have a mental block about putting cold glue on cold wood in a cold room- which is what I'd be dealing with when I try my first CA finishing.

Can some of you share your experiences?
Thanks
Dick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loglugger

When useing CA I take the blanks and glue into the house the night before and get them warm, then glue them in the shop the next day. If no one is home I glue them in the house. :)
Bob

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am single , so temperature is not a problem for me . I say the warmer the better . You should have more heat in your garage , especially if you're finishing your blanks with CA . Why risk it ? Just my own opinion ! [8D]

Gulfcoast

Dick ---

Moisture is required to cross link cyanoacrylate, the moisture content of air goes down when the temperature goes down. That is why cyanoacrylate cure time increases as it gets colder.

One of the major manufacturers is at this site for info.

htpp://www.permabond.com/en/en-cyanoacrylate.htm

Joe

toolcrazy

I have never worried much about temp when I glue up my blanks. My shop is usually around 50 degrees during the fall and spring. I don't turn in the winter, too darn cold and no way to effectively heat up the shop. I don't know about finishing with CA in the cold, I don't use it.

workinforwood

I keep my shop around 64. I find the CA as a finish works better during the winter in these temps. It definitely does take longer to cure, but I never have milky issues that sometimes pop up during the hot summer months.

Hello

I'm onboard with Joe....

Most people aren't aware of this, but, CA....more specifically, pur CA (rather than the stuff you might get at rockler or walmart that has a bunch of addatives) should actually be stored at about 40deg (its recommended to keep it your fridge. There shouldn't be a big problem with curing time unless the application enviornment is also rather cold - in other words, keep the glue cold, but apply it in your warm shop. This difference in temperature can cause its own issues - blooming - but, permabond makes a non-blooming CA to avoid this exact problem.....they also make a low-odor CA....btw.

Top Bottom