CA glue removal from glued-in brass tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PNajem

For those of you having problems with the subject title. After multiple attempts with different material. I found out that using a small pass of ordinary Ballbearing grease on the inside of the brass tube just before inserting the brass tube inside the pen blank will do the trick. After that using a pen reamer will easily clean the tube from the inside with no problems. All you have to do is clean the reamer bit with a towel after squaring the ends of the blank. And you end up with a very clean brass with no CA residue inside.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Keep the glue out.

Have to tried sheet wax? Candle making uses bees wax sheets about 1/16" thick. You push the tube into the wax, cookie cutter style and the wax plug keeps all glue from getting into the tube. Cuts out with the tip of a knife.

chartle

I've used clay but only if I'm using poly glue. You have to use a pretty thick plug and it makes a mess of the inside of the tube.

carlmorrell

A trick I got from one of our friends down under, I use all the time for epoxy. I put a small piece of paper towel in the brass tube. Dip the toweled end into mineral spirits. Roll the tube in glue. Insert towel end first. Once the tube is in place, push the towel out.

PNajem

But not good when using CA glue, because the glue will start to set immediately. I persomally have not tried it myself but i have seen it somewhere on the internet.

WriteON

Ask your dentist for a piece of pink or yellow base plate wax..... If you know a dental tech they'll have it also.

Last edited:

EdGallop41

I didn't realize this was a problem with so many. I use medium or even thick on the tube. It is not as runny and slower drying than thin. I don't use much, or none, on about 1/16" of the end going in first. It isn't needed. I put enough in a line on the rest of the tube, but not so much as to make a messy buildup when fully inserted. Holding upright and inserting in the bottom first, twisting as it goes in, no cement gets inside the tube. When I push the tube in with a gloved finger over the hole, whatever build up goes on the glove. I wipe off the glove quickly to reuse it. I also quickly wipe away excess from the blank. If I did get some in the tube the reamer would get it off enough to slide on the mandrel.

Sabaharr

I use the dental wax when gluing with epoxy. I coat the tube and put a glob inside the blank to push it through. This assures a complete fill of gaps. If just coating the tube I find that most of the epoxy or glue rubs off by the time the tube is half way in and the other end is nearly dry. Once the epoxy sets the blank is squared just kissing the brass will cut the epoxy cap that is left on the ends. The wax will push through the tube with the proper size transfer punch. Just my way, I was tired of having blanks let go of the tube on the mandrel. After it happened twice had enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom