CA Glue mishap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

charliekap

I was using thick CA to glue a brass tube to an acrylic blank and the glue set before I was able to get the tube al the way in. Is there anything that I can soak the blank in to release the CA ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I used Tom's method once, and was proud of myself for my ingenuity. I even sold the pen. A couple of months later the pen was returned as it had broken at the point where the two "1/2" pieces of tube met inside the blank (wooden). Replaced the pen for free, obviously. Very embarrassing , but a great lesson. I recommend Gary's way. Get the tube completely out, remove the old glue, and then use medium CA.

gallianp

5 minute epoxy -- gives you time to work.... I have used heat to let the CA soften to push it on in!!

plantman

:confused::confused: Put it in a vice and try to push the tube in. This should work. If not, while in the vice, heat the brass tube and apply pressure. Still won't budge, cut the tube off and glue it in the other end. Not the best choise !!! Soaking in any solvent could cause the plastic to weaken in some point in time. Jim S

pauly99

I ran into the same situation yesterday and soaked the acrylic blank with tube stuck inside in acetone (my wife's fingernail polish remover) for about 2 hours. The tube easily slid out. Make sure you clean out all the gunk inside the blank and wash down the blank to get rid of the acetone on the inside and outside before attempting to CA the tube back in.

Hendu3270

I have a heat gun that I've been able to use a time or two in this situation. Softens just enough to be able to push it on in. I would worry about strength if cutting it and moving the cut off piece around to the other end. The blanks get pretty thin at final thickness and won't offer much support.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

I'd be cautious about gluing in a second tube. The tube acts as the structure for the blank, which depending on the kit is quite thin. If its in two pieces you have a weak point which when stressed may split the blank.

AK

OOPS

I have been told that some rare and exotic woods have oils and other ingredients in their resin that act as an accelerator when they come in contact with CA. They suggested to use 5 minute epoxy as "best practice." I have found that polyurethane glue works best for me on wood, but on acrylic I use 5 minute epoxy, although I sometimes purchase the epoxy with a longer set time, so I can glue more at once.

JohnGreco

If you cut the part sticking out and CA it back in the other side, you should be OK as long as you have enough CA in between the 2 edges of tube that touch. That should create just as strong of a foundation under most wear and tear, just be sure to have a mini rat tail file on hand to clean up the inside of the tubes after.

Top Bottom