CA glue Burning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craig Matheny

I have read over and over about if you get CA glue on you it burns? I get it on my fingers all the time I do not get it? Am I doing something wrong?:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Nah. Try hitting it with accellerator. Especially the thick stuff. It gets hot when it sets fast. Regular thin doesn't really heat up unless there's a LOT of it. I'll zap my hand with accellerator if I get a thick blob on it. Makes it easier to peel off if it doesn't spread. But it gets HOT as it sets.

Yes it will burn your fingers. Just wait until you are doing a CA finish with thin CA and it soaks through the paper towel and glues it to your fingers then starts to burn. Try working with med. CA it may not burn as much and use smaller quantities at one time.

Maybe you are using Elmer's glue? Just kidding haha. It does get hot, even on the paper towel it starts to smoke sometimes. Now I don`t really know if that is vapor or fumes or something else but I have had it on my fingers and did not know it and sprayed accelerator to speed things up and found out right away where the glue was.

firewhatfire

I use a post-it note under my paper towel. CA does not usually soak through it. Most times I get it on me trying to glue in tubes. It is the fibers in the papertowel or cotton that activates it.

Let it dry by itself and clean it off with Acetone. I keep my acetone in a old Windex bottle so I can spray it.

but thats just me, the directions may say handle it differently.

randywa

Here's a little fuel for the CA fire. This is from Wikipedia. I'm surprised that I'm not a pile of ashes. Somedays I get more CA on the shirt than I do the project.

Attachments

• CA and Cotton.jpg
    CA and Cotton.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 112

cwolfs69

OMG, does t-shirt qualify as cotton? does spilling the entire bottle count as enough CA? you are right, its a wonder i havnt exploded!!

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

randywa

OMG, does t-shirt qualify as cotton? does spilling the entire bottle count as enough CA? you are right, its a wonder i havnt exploded!!

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

If you're going to say "explode", say it quietly. This is part of the Wikipedia about MEKP, the drops of hardener. While trying to find a way to add color to CA, I added a few drops of MEKP. For some reason it worked.

Attachments

• MEKP.jpg
    MEKP.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 96
Top Bottom