CA glue and burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbros

problem after problem eh?:) well a couple days ago i attempted to turn a redwood burl pen but didnt go through with it because when i went to use the barrel trimmer the brass tube popped out the other end. im guessing because of the grain of the burl allowing the ca glue to all run tho the outstdeand doesnt have enogh glue to stick the tube of that since when i pulled the tube out a little bit of pink residue was on the tube that the wood fibers arent strong enough to hold the brass tube in while under pressure?

a solution to my well known problem would be greatly appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

You might have had residual sawdust in the blank and that is the pink residue you are seeing. If you are using CA to glue the tubes, make sure it is thick CA. Also, are you sanding the tubes? This is necessary to create a surface that the glue can adhear to.

I haven't had much luck with CA so I use epoxy. [:D]

Fangar

This problem tells me that your crosscut issue (From your other post) is likely due to poor glue coverage. Use at least medium CA, thick if possible. (I use medium) or like others have mentioned, epoxy, etc. Spin the tube into the blank. Don't just press it in. This will cause the inner surface to get an even coating of glue.

Also, be sure you are roughing/scuffing your brass tubes first with coarse grit sandpaper.

Fangar

penbros

yup i certainly sand the tubes. i sand them goooood.

hmmmmmmm... um i dunno alls i know is that the brand is "super T"

huh crosscut? oh nooo my brass tube is in there plenty tight

thanks though

vick

Sounds like the wood is absorbing to much of the ca. Either put some ca in the hole to seal the wood allow to dry then glue in your tubes, or use epoxy on Poly glue which should work good without sealing. Personally I use epoxy but all of the glues work.

penbros

i put ca in the hole but only let it dry 4 about 30 seconds. hmm that most likley be the issue

BTW anyone who is paying too much for snake wood look up snakewood on eBay. if u buy snakewood from a woodworking store u r probably spending too much money.
i found 3 pen blanks 4 $15.00

DFM

Originally posted by penbros
<br />i put ca in the hole but only let it dry 4 about 30 seconds. hmm that most likley be the issue

BTW anyone who is paying too much for snake wood look up snakewood on eBay. if u buy snakewood from a woodworking store u r probably spending too much money.
i found 3 pen blanks 4 $15.00

Capitalization, grammar and spelling are your friends.

Dario

A little does go in the tube, nothing that you cannot scrape with a small knife. It takes just a few seconds to clean a pair. DO NOT try cleaning it while it is not yet dry though...you will just smear it and make clean up more difficult.

A little oil inside the tube ends applied with cotton swabs makes clean up much easier even.

I do use old newspaper to protect the table top [;)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />gorilla glue expands as it dries though wouldnt it get all in the tube

Scuff the tubes with sandpaper. Seal the ends of the tube with baseplate wax available from BB at Arizona Silhouette, or from your dentist in trade for a pen. Breathe your breath down the drill hole in the blank to introduce a small bit of moisture necessary for polyurethane glue to set. Put some Gorilla Glue or Elmers Ultimate Glue in the hole in the blank. Slowly spin in the tube, making sure there is enough glue to completely coat the tube and the inside of the blank. Set it aside overnight and do not mess with it until it has set. Clean off the excess, trim the ends by whatever method you prefer and turn the pen. Allowing adequate time for glue to set is important whatever glue you use.

As a side note, it is not an English test, but if you expect people to answer your questions have the courtesy to write them in a readable form.

Fangar

<br />yup i certainly sand the tubes. i sand them goooood.

hmmmmmmm... um i dunno alls i know is that the brand is "super T"

huh crosscut? oh nooo my brass tube is in there plenty tight

thanks though

It isn't in tight if it is sliding out. I turn almost primarily burls and my tubes don't slide out. Super T is fine glue so that is not the issue.

The crosscut was reference to your other thread that you started about cross cut zebra. You are having issues with Burls and crosscuts. Though the end results (problems...tubes sliding out and crosscuts blowing out) are not the same issue, they both often result from improper tube gluing.

Fangar

JimGo

Then they're all even more correct; the glue isn't holding. Maybe it's too old, maybe you're not using thick enough glue, maybe you're just not using enough glue, maybe the hole is too big for the CA to get a good grip on both the blank and the tube, maybe wiping out the inside of the blank with a Q-tip that has DNA on it to get out the dust from drilling will help, and maybe it's a combination of more than one of these factors. But you've been given some very good advice - go give it a try, then let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom