CA Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

graham murfin

Hi
through you fellas and the forum I've been trying CA glue to finish my pens, I bought some 151 (maybe uk only) CA glue as I already use there epoxy double cylinder its great stuff.
The CA is called as hard as nails, it makes a great job and dries straight away and comes in a good size bottle, I'ver been using it on English elm burl, boy the colour comes out nice putting 3 coats on and not sanding anymore.
But I have got what we call bog oak its oak been in peat bog for hundreds of years, I have it dried and its almost black but you still see the oak grain
I used sand and sealer its made a average job, I put the CA glue on as I did with the burl and a thick grey smoke came off the wood and turned it white:eek:
Has anyone had this experience with CA ?
GRAHAM

Drstrangefart

Several things could have happened. The wood could have still been very moist, water sets and clouds CA. If you used accellerator, the wood could have soaked up a lot of CA and the accellerator would have made it set too fast, generating heat, and causing your problems.

mrcook4570

I make quite a few bog oak pens and use CA exclusively. I also use CA as the sanding sealer. While sanding with 400 grit paper, I drizzle some thin CA on the blank. The sanding dust combined with the CA creates a slurry which fills in the open grain and leaves a smooth surface for applying CA as a finish.

It could be the CA is reacting with the cellulose in your sanding sealer. If you try the CA/sanding dust slurry, you will avoid any possibility of different chemicals reacting.

Top Bottom