CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbeyer

Hey guys,

So I was told today by a fellow woodworker that his friend mixed some CA and some type of coloring that reminded me of food coloring and that changed the color of the CA. IS that actually possible? What will CA not adhere to because I know it doesn't stick to the bottle and I'd like to try it.

Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I guess if you mixed it with thick and immediately applied it, that might work. I don't know what kind of coloring affect you would get, being the food coloring is essentially diluted now. Another unfortunate possibility is that your CA finish comes out looking cloudy.

IDK. Might be something to try on a piece of scrap.

Maybe it was actually tint like Mixol from WC and not food coloring dye.

Last edited:

Padre

The only 'colored' CA I've seen is black. I got some from Starbond as a free sample in my last order, and it's cool.

ldb2000

I've tried food coloring , acrylic paint , enamel paint and several other kinds of pigments and everyone of them was a failure . CA mixed with food coloring foams up and gets so hot it smokes and all of the things acted like an accelerator .
Good luck !!!

Here's a link to this question that I asked over 2 years ago http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1924&highlight=coloring+CA
I don't think any new coloring agent has been invented since then .

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I've been told that CA cures due it's pH changes, so any additive that changes the pH ( I have not found a definitive answer as to what that pH is, but it looks like it is in the "5" range...) would certainly not work.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The only thing I've found that works as a colorant for CA is a powder system by FastCap (www.fastcap.com). Someone had several of their 2P-10 kits for sale on here a while back.
But you have to work fast with thick or gel CA.

jbeyer

I'm guessing it was 5 min epoxy. What does that look like when it's done? How does it affect the wood grain?

Jonathan

Top Bottom