CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

What is the real difference between the CA glues? Such as Hot Stuff verses E-Z bond or Stick-fast, insta-bond another other CA glue. So what am I going to be using it for 1. gluing tubes and blank together. but 2. mostly using it for CA/blo finish. Does the brand matter?

Bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcusicp

I would like to know this as well. I want to try some CA from the local hobby shop because it is much cheaper but I am afraid that I might get sub par results.

jwoodwright

As in everything else, there are Quality Levels in CA...

The Medical is as pure as it gets, then it goes downhill. The cheapest may also contain some other chemicals.

The color ranges from Crystal Clear to a Yellowish Tint...

Another Issue is Shelf Life. Older CA still works, just not as well...

R2

Some of my fellow turners Buy very inexpensive CA in Small tubes - several to a card.It is made in China. If used very quicky once opened it is OK. Pu the cap back on and it will be stringy after about 24hrs. The older the tubes get, despite them being sealed, the more the CA deteriorates.
Hot Stuff lasts very well, and even longer if kept in the fridge.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Monty's been great every time I've ordered from him! He's currently trying to help me track down a package that he sent that's been lost by USPS (not his fault), so his customer service is well above par!

You really can't beat his prices either!

Andrew

I just made my first purchase from Mannie/Monty the other other night.

I had been reading the recent thread about what people use to glue their tubes inside the blanks. One poster said she used five-minute epoxy because CA was too expensive. Now, we all know CA can be expensive, but I'm thinkin' she's whacked because epoxy costs like 10 bills for a 1.6 ounce syringe and it's tough not to waste half a syringe gluing a single tube. So, when all is said and done, CA is a bargain compared to five-minute epoxy. Like I said, she's whacked.

So, then I see Mannie's name somewhere and decide to visit his site and, lo and behold, the man's got eight freakin' ounces of five-minute epoxy in convenient plastic bottles for $9.18. And, that's a delivered price! So I decides to get me a little and as long as I'm at it I check out the CA prices and his delivered prices are running about half what I'm used to paying even before postage. So, I add a few of those - one of each flavor in the two ounce size. Then, I notice he's got those handy little plastic bottles and replacement tips at attractive discount prices and I'm thinking, "What the hey?" so I add a few of those to the old shopping cart. Before you know it, the shopping cart's full and I owe Mannie all of $26.00.

Ain't life great?

jtate

"Whacked? " That's pretty harsh. I'm pretty sure I'm the person you are saying is "whacked" since I recently wrote about using epoxy instead of CA for gluing in tubes.

I don't know where you're buying it but I get epoxy at less than $3.00 each and I just use a tiny bit for each application so it lasts a long time.

And it always gives me enough time to get the tube positioned correctly, something you can't say for CA glue.

And it fills the miniscule spaces between wood and tube so I haven't had any blow-outs since I've been using epoxy. I did have some when using just CA. My skills have grown but I think some of it is the use of a more appropriate adhesive.

"Whacked" is kind of harsh. Since EAGLE's not with us, the level of discourse hasn't been so harsh. I'd like to keep it this way.

Everybody's entitled to have an opinion without being insulted for having an opinion that's different from yours.

Julia

Originally posted by jtate

"Whacked? " That's pretty harsh. I'm pretty sure I'm the person you are saying is "whacked" since I recently wrote about using epoxy instead of CA for gluing in tubes.

I don't know where you're buying it but I get epoxy at less than $3.00 each and I just use a tiny bit for each application so it lasts a long time.

And it always gives me enough time to get the tube positioned correctly, something you can't say for CA glue.

And it fills the miniscule spaces between wood and tube so I haven't had any blow-outs since I've been using epoxy. I did have some when using just CA. My skills have grown but I think some of it is the use of a more appropriate adhesive.

"Whacked" is kind of harsh. Since EAGLE's not with us, the level of discourse hasn't been so harsh. I'd like to keep it this way.

Everybody's entitled to have an opinion without being insulted for having an opinion that's different from yours.

Julia

Julia -

No offense was intended and I apologize that it came off that way. When I read your post the other night, my only frame of reference was some very expensive epoxy. The point of this post was to share my discovery that epoxy did not have to be expensive and, in fact, could be substantially less expensive than CA, consistent with what you posted the other night.

So, who's the genius? Turns out it's you and my post intended to give you credit for that in a backhanded way. I should have stated that more directly. I do not think you're whacked and I apologize for having given that impression.

Hello

CA is a big topic.
There are many factors to consider when buying your CA. For most pen applications, generally speaking, the cheap stuff should be just fine. But, if you want, you can get fancy. CA is a fast drying resin that has different properties depending on its exact make-up. It can be thick (the viscocity measured in centipoise), say 100cP, or thin, like 3 cP. It can be low-odor, non-bloom, surface indiscriminate....lots of choices. I use a type of CA from Permabond called resinol for stabilizing stuff. I also use their low odor non-bloom stuff. blooming, btw, is those little white epcs that sometimes show up, or that "foggy" look that happens - it usually occurs when there is too much moisture in the air....which is most common when its warm outside. I don't wanna' write a book on this board, os PM me if you've got more questions.

jtate

Thanks Michael. We're buddies again now. I count anyone a buddy who has the the sense to recognize my inherent genius! That being sadi, CA is a miracle substance and I like it a lot. I just can't keep from messing up when I use it to glue in tubes.

Although I never used the little tubes of stuff, I always though CA was Ca and just bought at what ever wood store I was in whenever I needed some... but since finding Monty recently, I'm probably going to stick to him from now on.. good stuff, great service.

bitshird

I like Thick CA to glue tubes into PR but I prefer Gorilla Glue for tubes into wood, Epoxy is OK but doesn't work as well for me, truth be known,if I have the time, I'll use Gorilla Glue when ever I can, I would like to try their new CA though, but Monty still rocks the house for price and service!!!!!

Top Bottom