CA/glasses/follow up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I posted earlier about this and because of a typo in the original post having a typo there was a little confusion.
The lenses are plastic from lenscrafters.
They were spotted with CA glue.
I had an old pair of glasses I don't wear much any more so I tested the lenses with acteone on those.
I put some actone on a rag and wiped the lensses for a couple of minutes.
I let them dry and then washed well with water and then eyeglass cleaner,
They actually seemed cleaner than they were before I started.
I tried the same method on the glasses spotted with CA.
The glue did not dissolve immediately but did so eventually. As it did there was a film on the lenses.I continued to wipe with the acetone drenched cloth.
The glasses came clean with no noticeable damage. and they are CLEAN!

One final word.
I am due for an exam in a month or so.THe lens does have a scratch in them.
I felt that if I ruined the lenses it would not be a big loss.
It seems there was no damage, there are no blurred spots and I can see through the glasses without any problem.
If they had been new lenses I may not have tried to clean the glue off them and just gone to lenscrafters to see if they could get the glue off.
If this info helps anyone I'm glad.
I did this because right now I can't afford new glasses and I figured it was worth a shot.
Your mileage may vary proceed at your own risk.

Doghouse

I read this as...

I tried this and it worked for me. If you are crazy enough to try it also, it is your own problem if you mess up.

Have to love lawyers. :)

I think that it is understood that if you try any of the procedures here you do so at your own risk, and in no way can the site or any of the members be liable for any topics discussed here.

G

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />I read this as...

I tried this and it worked for me. If you are crazy enough to try it also, it is your own problem if you mess up.

Have to love lawyers. :)

I think that it is understood that if you try any of the procedures here you do so at your own risk, and in no way can the site or any of the members be liable for any topics discussed here.

Yep that's about it.
You summed it up rather succinctly.[:eek:)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The early plastic lenses were made from an acrylic, and they were dissolved in acetone. Most modern lenses are made from plastics that are not damaged by ascetone. I would always do a little test in the corner before going all the way.

There is nothing unusual about cleaning glasses with acetone. If you were to take the glasses to an optician to get them cleaned, they would take them into the back room and do the same thing. And they use CA glue to hold a problem lens in the frame.

Beware of doing this with a glass lens that is coated. The coating is a plastic that might dissolve in the ascetone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom