CA In The Fridge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

A long time ago, my Dad told me to keep CA glue in the fridge. It's supposed to make it last longer.
Has anyone heard of this?

Lenny

A long time ago, my Dad told me to keep CA glue in the fridge. It's supposed to make it last longer.
Has anyone heard of this?

I honestly don't know HOW it would make your fridge last longer ... but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything either! :biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, the fruit drawer is the bottom one of the fridge.

Plainly speaking, I have stored CA in the fridge for several years, since I started buying larger quantities.

Also, had this confirmed by a manufacturer of CA some years ago, speaking with their customer service guy (small company, he was also a chemist).

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just let it warm up to room temp before you open it (the CA, not the fridge). If you open thye CA while it's still cold, moisture from the air can condense inside the bottle causing it to start polymerize and shorten the shelf life.

Mark

If I'm using it on a daily basis, I leave it in the shop. If I know I won't be back at it for a week or so, I put the CA in the refrigerator. I was told that it will help it last longer, too.

jttheclockman

I do not think open bottles of CA is a good idea in the fridge. Will leave that to the experts but I would not do it.

I haven't kept ca in the fridge so I don't know how it reacts to cold. I have had 2 bottles split open during the summer. They were on the shelf in the garage on a hot day.

Mark

Seriously,
I don't put it in the freezer. I have it sitting in an area called a chiller. I suppose it's meant for vegetables and such.

Maybe I will look for one of those small "Dorm" frig's. Then I'd have room for the extra's too.

robutacion

That is very interesting...!!!
Wasn't that long ago I ready a very detailed thread about this same issue, I thing that was in "Paradise forum". It become undoubtedly clear (on that thread) that all "our" (yes, I put my share of stuff in the fridge for that same purpose...!) perceptions about the fridge as a self life extender for many things including CA, was totally wrong! It was determined by information some seem to gather from those that know a bit more about these issues than us, there is "the experts" that, putting CA in the fridge does the opposite than what we believe, as also with CA, putting the lid on the opened bottle/container, doesn't make any difference, CA will not dry faster without the lid...!!!:eek:
Yeah, I know... its sounds all very sass...! but any of you guys want to confirm buy doing a search on their site (I'm not allowed to...!:mad:), please do!

I have used the fridge countless times to attempt keeping certain products to dry, particularly the large tubes of silicone/silastic use once every so ofter and found totally rubberized after a few months sitting in the shed even if with a cap on it, many times I put the spray gun still half full of paint in the fridge for a day or two (commonly overnight) until I'm ready to finish the job or give that last coat. All sorts of paints with tray, roller, brush(s) in it (overnight) or in hot summer days in between coats, etc, etc...! I have and I never had CA in the fridge, don't know why but maybe is because the small tubes I normally use are used too often to bother. All my unopened bottles are stored in the shed also...!:eek::confused::biggrin:

The correct answer...! I don't have one, certain times the fridge seems to work some other times it didn't so, bugger if I know...!:confused::cool:

Cheers
George

Mac

I keep mine in the fridge. in the door at eye level. My other half did't even know it ,and went and bought some at a big box store. I helped her unload the car and asked why did't you use some of my CA she said what CA???

Rick_G

From Palm Lab Adhesives website

http://www.palmlabsadhesives.com/shelflife.htm

When products are maintained in cool, dry location such as a refrigerator at a temperature of about 55°F prior to opening the Shelf Life will be extended to a minimum of 15 months. Our recommendation is that if the product is to be used within six months of the production date, it is not necessary to refrigerate. Keep in mind that cyanoacrylates are a moisture sensitive product, and placing in cool and then hot Temperature will create condensation. When Cyanoacrylates are not refrigerated, the shelf life will be reduced to approximately a one-year period. After removing the products from the refrigerator it is best to let them sit until they reach room temperature.

All this is very interesting... but I'm both too lazy and too forgetful to take my CA from the shop to the house.... I just leave mine in the shop and really haven't noticed any reduction in shelf life... since Monty ships so quickly and his prices are low enough, I now just buy on an as needed basis... I get what I think I'll use in given period of time and when that's gone, buy again.... I had several large bottles that sat from summer to over the winter in my unheated and uncooled shop that lasted until I had used most of it... I think I did lose about a 1/4 of a bottle of thin CA, but that's about all.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
This thread has prompted me to go lok in my fridge. By golly I found a new bottle of thin CA that I bought 3 years ago. IT is still thin as ever, do you suppose it is any good or should I just toss it.

tbroye

Beer, Pepsi, Champagne Night Crawlers, and CA glue Misc. Batteries. That what is in mine. Come to think of it, the fridge might be a Hazardous Material storage unit.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
This thread has prompted me to go lok in my fridge. By golly I found a new bottle of thin CA that I bought 3 years ago. IT is still thin as ever, do you suppose it is any good or should I just toss it.
It should still be good. If you want to test it, put a drop on your finger and see if your finger sticks to your thumb.:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
At the recent MPG there was a discussion about CA. The consensus there was keep unopened CA in the fridge. Once it is opened keep it uncapped in the shop. Does anyone here store their open CA uncapped?

I was told to store it in the freezer so that is what I do when not in use. I have no idear if this helps. SOunds like I have been wasting freezer room.

nava1uni

Why not cap it? I cap all of my CA and it doesn't seem to affect it's life. I use it before anything happens to it. Only CA I have lost came from spraying accelerator across the top of the bottle and there you have it-one hardened bottle of CA-surpise! lol

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Note to self...don't drink any "beer" out of the pointy top plastic bottles in some member's fridges!

Seriously, I keep my bulk CA in a chest freezer in my shop. Have never had a problem and it lasts as long as I need it to. I use it up before it has time to go bad and I buy 16 oz. bottles and refill the little bottles.

themartaman

I have been using the original CA for over 30 years and keep in fridge. It does make it usable over a longer period of time. And yes let it warm up to room temp before oening. Zap by Pacer is the original CA.

bpgoldo

CA in the fridge

Guys,
CA kicks over when exposed to moisture in the air. The fridge works because the air is dry in the box. Keep CA in a dry air environment and it will not go solid on ya. Another little known fact. If you have the time.....CA will dissolve in water. Found that out after starting to use it as my adhesive on 60" square steel silk screen frames. Washed with water......oooooh that was costly.

Top Bottom