CA and fire sticky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Is there "sticky warning" somewhere about using CA for finishing and the potential for starting a fire. I had a paper towel smoking real good today. I almost got some burgers out.
Seriously ....to a newbe...know what you are doing. I'm not doing any CA finishing until I learn the proper technique.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tommy2tone

Is there "sticky warning" somewhere about using CA for finishing and the potential for starting a fire. I had a paper towel smoking real good today. I almost got some burgers out.
Seriously ....to a newbe...know what you are doing. I'm not doing any CA finishing until I learn the proper technique.
Check out the thread on http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/i-am-concerned-about-ca-glue-114181/. I was concerned about the same thing. They mention alot of good ideas.

WriteON

I applied CA with a White Paper Towel. The towel started smoking while applying. I was spinning the wood....maybe too fast.....or was I suppose to turn by hand while applying.

Just some more friendly advice to the inexperienced..... Careful...and have an extinguisher handy regardless.

penmaker1967

when i used paper towels to apply ca i used the blue shop towels because i had the same thing happen to me with white paper towels when i went to the blue shop towels had no more troulble but i use craft foam now for my ca finshes. hope this helps.

Beedeejay

I have found over here that the cheap home brand paper towell works better as the top of the range smoked like crazy, I also have an old plastic container filled with water that I drop the towel in as soon as I'm finished wiping it on,
I also apply at low medium or sometimes even high speed (depends what the lathe is set at the time)
Hope that helps,
Cheers Ben

paintspill

I applied CA with a White Paper Towel. The towel started smoking while applying. I was spinning the wood....maybe too fast.....or was I suppose to turn by hand while applying.

Just some more friendly advice to the inexperienced..... Careful...and have an extinguisher handy regardless.

its not speed. there is some kind of chemical reaction with the paper towel. there is something in some of them that act as an accelerator. it will smoke before you even touch the blank, some do it worse than others so try a few different brands. and make sure you have several layers and/or some gloves between it and your finger. it doesn't tickle.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I believe you are seeing the smoke because the towels you are using contain small amounts of cotton or wool. Both of these, when they come in contact with CA, will smoke and can combust. I would suggest you change the brand of towel you are using.
Like Penmaker1967, I use the blue Scott shop towels. Be careful as not all brands are equal. I had been buying my blue Scott shop towels at Lowe's. A while back, I couldn't find the Scott brand, only a store brand. I bought a roll and to my surprise, the didn't work as well for me plus they smoked when the CA was applied, the Scott brand doesn't smoke.

Top Bottom