CA finish thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So I have been trying to get my process of a CA finish down. I 2 do pens at a time of the same wood, one with a CA finish and one with a friction finish. I have found some like the look and feel of either. But today I was doing a CA finish and I decided to let the towel grab a glue a little on the 3rd coat then on the 6th coat of 10 total coats of thin CA. I actually like how it came out, it has a very small feel of a friction finish. Just a very small amount of porus so it doesn't just look so glossy you are afraid to touch it. I have found most people want the durability of a CA finish but the feel of real wood.

I just wanted to pass my thoughts and trials on, I am sure someone else has done this before.

Thanks for reading!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

Between the smell, the mess and the high potential for failure with CA finishes. I much prefer PU. Takes longer but I am not a production house. The feel is great and very durable.

plantman

Just my opinion, but, if you are having a smell, mess, and failure problems with a CA finish, your not doing it correctly. I use all types of finishes on my pens, and CA is the fastest, easyest, and most durable finish of all. I do, however, agee with the glass like feel of the finish as not being for everyone. Being a car nut however, glass is class. Jim S

Neededwill

Boz what is PU? The CA finish is just as fast as a friction and the smell or mess is not there at all. There is a light smell but proper ventilation takes care of that.

Jim Burr

Banned
CA done right is The Finish. WOP is good, stands up well, can be knocked down for a matte or gloss finish.

MarkD

One thing I have done a few times when people don't want the real glossy finish is to sand through the MM pads as usual ( habit ) , then work backwards with the MM until you get more of a satin finish. Stop when you get the finish your looking for.

raar25

I am not sure I follow your process. What do you mean by you let the towel grab a glue? If it is a paper towel arent you getting alot of lint in the finish if the paper towel sticks?

Neededwill

I use the blue shop towels and what i mean is when you are applying the CA you move side to side quickly before it begin to grab a little. But on the 3rd and 6th pass I let it grab just a little, it is not enough to rip the blue shop towel just kind of smears the CA, I guess that is the easiest way to explain it. It is just something i noticed and have tried on another pen and got the same effect.

mrcook4570

A lot of 'feel' is actually perceived with the eye. People claim that a high gloss finish is cold and unnatural while a matte finish is warm and natural. CA (or lacquer, poly, etc.) can be used to achieve both effects and will be much more durable than any friction finish.

Wildman

I agree CA finish is fast and easy finish to apply just not sure any more durable than any other film finish. I found apply CA finishes easiest and most forgiving film finish to apply. Yet so many people have questions & problems with a CA finish. Think those of us that are sensitive to CA got it thru skin contact and fumes.

Waterborne poly gives same shinny plastic look & feel with much less hassle.

Friction finishes just as attractive to me as shinny even with some fade back. Reading these and other forums products use for doing friction finishes vary so much so just say use whatever works.

JLewis

I hate CA finish. Makes the pen feel plastic. I turn wood for the wood (I no longer do acrylics). I enjoy the warmth of wood. The feel. The wear. It is what I make and sell and it works for me. I do understand there are those who like CA.

That being said I tried a method I recently saw (I think it was Russ Fairfield video actually) with a twist. I did this to two pens over the weekend and really like the way they feel and look.

Also those of you using paper towels it was either Russ or Rutian (sp) in one of thier videos mentioned that one of the chemicals used in paper towels is the exact same as a chemical used in CA accelerator. Meaning the moment you touch your pen with the towel you have applied your accelerator also. I cannot remeber what they used in the viedo, but I have followed "firewhatfire" advice and use Post It notes.

Neededwill

JLewis, I also think wood should feel real, but I do have a couple people that like the gloss feel. Do you have the link to the Russ Fairfield video with the finish that you tried. I would like to see what it is.

Top Bottom