CA finish testimony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_l

I just tried using the CA finish described in the articles section by Greg Wilson. I had tried it before but without following the directions correctly. (Don't ask me what I did, but it really came out a mess.) I followed the directions tonight and wow what a great finish. Smooth and shiny!!

I am rather leary of CA glue, what with the chance of gluing your fingers together and all! But it really is easy, if you follow the directions. [8D]

A big thanks to Greg for the article also! :)
Mike L

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike_l

Follow up post:
I know most of you already use this method, but this is for all the guys like me who are a little bit wary of CA glue.

Mike L

NCTurner

Mike, glad it worked for you! Yes, you can get an amazing finish with the CA, but it takes practice and more practice. I think you'll alter the method to fit your own style, but the bottom line are the results - are they what you want? Keep it up, and let us see some pictures!

Dominic Greco

Mike,
I was a bit leery of using CA glue also. But I read up on it a lot and followed directions given to me by Scott Greaves. His trick it to give the pen a light coat of Boiled Linseed Oil first. The add a drop or two to a wadded up paper towel. Drip on some light CA glue and away you go. But I wasn't prepared for how HOT the CA glue got! Damn near singed my fingerprints off! From what Scott says, the BLO acts like a catalyst for the CA glue.

After the first coat with thin CA glue, I then give it several coats with medium CA glue. Works like a charm and buffs to a incredible smooth finish.

My first experience with CA glue didn't work out all that well. I didn't allow the glue to cure enough before assembling the pen and now all I have is a pen that cannot be twisted, or taken apart! So remember to let the blank sit for a bit before assembling!

mike_l

I'll be sure to remember the bit about letting it dry before assembly. [:)]
I have read about using BLO and I guess if CA is going to be my finish of choice, I should go ahead and get some. Thanks for the tip.
I am going to get out the digital camera this weeking and try for a few "high quality" shots of some of my pens. I have taken a few pictures, but none come close to the quality most of you guys and gals get in your shots. Time for some experimenting.

Mike L

Paul Downes

Hey Dominic, Just a word of advice. Don't do what a co-worker of mine did many years ago. This guy forgot to lock up a 6 oz. bottle of CA before going to lunch so he just shoved it in his pocket. This bonehead also had a habit of drinking his lunch and this time got himself quite besotted. About the time he went to use the bathroom he realized that things were not quite right. 3 hours in E.R. while a nurse painted super glue remover on his private parts to get his underwear and pants and everthing all cleaned up. WOW, how embarassing!

kennosborne

Originally posted by Paul Downes
3 hours in E.R. while a nurse painted super glue remover on his private parts....

OMG that would smart!!!! I have had a few unpleasent things come into contact with my private area, including gasoline and habanero oil, ... but CA glue would by far be the worst!!!! OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Paul Downes
<br />3 hours in E.R. while a nurse painted super glue remover on his private parts to get his underwear and pants and everthing all cleaned up. WOW, how embarassing!

Too funny. There is so much material here for great jokes, but I better not go there. [:)]

Ozzie

When using CA for finishing, do you use good quality, brand name or is El Cheapo okay to use? We have a local store that has closeouts and off brand CA and sometimes has specials 4/$1.00. Just wondering if anyone has tried them.[?]

melogic

Hey Mike L.,
If you have a scanner, try that for some really good pen shots. Since I heard about using the scanner for pens, that is about all I use. You can even experiment with different papers or fabric for the background.

mike_l

Good idea on the scanner. I do have one I can use at work. I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Mike L.

William Young

I tried my scanner on a pen and the quality of the definition in the wood grain was fantastic but it created a heavy overpowering shadow that took a lot away from the appearance of the whole thing. Are there any tips to get around that or would it just be my particular scanner. It is a HP 750 series scanner which works beautifully on color photographs etc that lay flat in it.
W.Y.

William Young

I think I am more ore less answering my own question here because I just tried scanning a pen lengthwise in the scanner instead of crossways like I previously did. Now the shadow is only at the right hand end instead along the length of it. It seems to bring out the grain in the yew wood better than my camera picture of the same pem.
Anybody have any ideas to further improve on this (Besides making a better pen ) [:I][;)]
W.Y.
Yew%20Pen.jpg

Andy Ryan

Originally posted by Ozzie
<br />When using CA for finishing, do you use good quality, brand name or is El Cheapo okay to use? We have a local store that has closeouts and off brand CA and sometimes has specials 4/$1.00. Just wondering if anyone has tried them.[?]
Yes I did, worked great for trying stuff out. when done leave the cap off. most of the pens i did in my album have this stuff on them.[:D]

mike_l

I tried the scanner idea. Works much better than my digital camera. Let me know what you think.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=341

Mike L

fmunday

Originally posted by Ozzie
<br />When using CA for finishing, do you use good quality, brand name or is El Cheapo okay to use? We have a local store that has closeouts and off brand CA and sometimes has specials 4/$1.00. Just wondering if anyone has tried them.[?]
I do a lot of CA finishing and have come to the following conclusions.
1. If you are using thin CA use something like an Ice Cream stick with a pad of fiber fill (or some other such material), saturate the pad with CA and apply to the blanks while turning the lathe by hand or at a very slow speed.
2. Any oil (Tung, Danish, Walnut, etc.) will work for a CA/OIL finish but the results will vary depending on the oil used. The best results I've had is with BLO.
3. For a BLO/CA finish you can use thick or medium CA. Medium seems to work the best followed closely by thick. I've never tried thin CA with BLO. You're on your own there.
4. The cheap stuff seems to work about as well as the name brand stuff (probably all came out of E-Z Bond's plant anyway [:)] ). Limited quantities in the tubes can be a problem. Half way thru and you run out of glue [:(] Bummer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom