CA Finish And Dyed Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brez

What has been your experience with dyed wood blanks and CA finish? Today I was working on a segmented pen and one of the sections was Stabilized Box Elder dyed green. While glueing the dyed Box Elder to the tube the excess CA turned green. I decided not to use the CA finish for fear that the green dye would run and stain other parts of the pen. Has anybody had experience with this?

Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I've had no problems with the dyed/stabilized blanks. However, with non-stabilized blanks, the ca will strip off dye that I have applied. I remedy this with medium ca followed quickly with accelerator to lock the ca in place before it can dissolve the dye.

Paul Downes

You might try some sanding sealer over the top of the blank before appling the CA finish. Sanding sealer is usually shellac based and it should seal the color in before finishing.

randyrls

Originally posted by Paul Downes

You might try some sanding sealer over the top of the blank before appling the CA finish. Sanding sealer is usually shellac based and it should seal the color in before finishing.

Yes Indeed; Colored stabilized burl blanks sometimes have "brown spots" where the dye didn't penetrate. I apply dye over top of them and then sanding sealer.

Petricore

When I dye my own I put on several quick coats of thin ca till the papertowel is clear when I finish the application, then I finish with ca like normal. No excessive bleeding yet (crosses fingers)

Top Bottom