CA finish cracking off bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vthowe

Hey team...on occasion, I end up with too much CA glue on my finish and end up cracking the CA glue which sometime includes removing glue / finish from my pen.

I thought about starting to try using a razor blade and cutting while it was on the bushings but not sure it'll be accurate... or maybe turning down the glue on the bushings.

Other ideas?

Thanks all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

What works for me is to wax the bushings, or better still is to apply the finish between centers without the bushings. I'll wax the centers though and if there is extra CA after it dries then I trim the excess with a single edge razor blade after removing the barrel from the lathe. The wax prevents the CA from sticking to the centers or bushings and have had no cracking issues.

Last edited:

ronaldcolby

Try putting paraffin wax on your bushing. Should solve the problem of the CA glue sticking.

RetiredJake

I use a razor blades and score the ca next to the bushings. The bushings then pop off easily. I then use a sanding disc on the lathe to re-square the ends of the blank and remove any excess ca.

Jake

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
When all else fails me I put a thin layer of thin CA on some waxpaper and carefully place the chippy end in it. We're talking a real thin layer of glue. The CA will wick up into the chips and they will pretty much disappear. Be sure there is no CA in the tube or you'll crack the blank pressing it together. Works for me, your results may vary.
WB

I use a paring tool to cut the ca off the bushings when I use them. You can cut the ca right up to the blank then they will pop off. If the are still stuck I have used the razor blade or scaple to cut the ca but I do take the balnk off the lathe and cut it on the table by slowly rotating the blank while I hold the cutter.

Jim Burr

Banned
Get some delrin (or make your own) bushings for finishing! Wax works well on metal bushings, but delrin is supreme!!...IMHO.

KBs Pensnmore

If you have to use bushings, I make up paper washers about 6 per side of bush. After CA'd the finish, use an exacto knife to part through. I clean the ends up on a sanding pen mill with 180 grit. This works for me.:biggrin:
Kryn

lorbay

When I used to use bushings and this happened to me I would use a skew to make a cut at the end of the blank. Now as others have said loose the bushings and TBC.

Lin.

carpblaster

I turn my pen blanks every 2 times i add ca, I just rotate it on the bushings to make sure there not stuck to the bushings, havent lost one yet doing that, befoe i used the knife or razor,

I don't do CA finish very often, but when I do, I've found those Delrin bushings mentioned before a Godsend. I turn with kit proper bushings and do CA finish with Delrin bushings.

Last edited:

vacca rabite

I've just stopped finishing my blanks on bushings. Just mount the tube between centers and no more worries about getting glues to the bushing.

Zach

Top Bottom