CA or Epoxy vs. heat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello.

My main problem when segmenting, especially when segmenting metal and wood, is at the drilling stage. I normally use CA to bond the materials. I know that heat softens the CA and when drilling, the heat raises to very high levels. I have had several cases of segments ungluing (degluing?) at the drilling step.
Does epoxy reacts the same to heat? Are there other alternatives that tolerate heat better than CA?
Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

They are both heat sensitive, the epoxy will soften at about 200 deg F. Keep the bit and blank cool. I retract the bit often and wipe with a wet paper towel, either water or DNA. It's worse even when metal is included, aluminum for example generates a lot of heat when drilling.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hello.

My main problem when segmenting, especially when segmenting metal and wood, is at the drilling stage. I normally use CA to bond the materials. I know that heat softens the CA and when drilling, the heat raises to very high levels. I have had several cases of segments ungluing (degluing?) at the drilling step.
Does epoxy reacts the same to heat? Are there other alternatives that tolerate heat better than CA?
Thank you.

The right solution isn't about the glue, it is about your drill bit.

I had the same problem you are having when I was doing all my segmenting and I finally realized the flutes of the drill bit were very nearly parallel to my segments so the side of the bit would heat the segment before the tip of the bit would cut it. I switched to high-quality brad point bits (sometimes, dewalt bullet-point) and never had the problem again because those bits cut at the edge first (which happens to be where the bit meets the segments first).

Give it a try, you will like the results. But! Use HIGH-Quality bits. I bought a cheap Chinese set of bits and the weren't hardened so would curve away from the segment.

edstreet

Here in lies your truths. Not all 'epoxy' is the same.

:Heat break down temps:
F rating = 406 super glue
D rating = Devcon 2 ton, devcon 5 ton,
C rating - 100-200F: JB Weld, T88
B rating - 200-300F: Gorilla glue, golf shafting, anchor tite marine epoxy, Xtreme, Acra glass, West system
A rating - 300F+: E120HP, U-05FL

edstreet

Dishwasher epoxy testing:

Fail rating: devcon 2 ton, devcon 5 ton, jb weld, t-88, super glue.
Pass rating: gorilla glue, golf shafting, xtreme, acra glass gel, e-120HP, U-05FL,

West system did not quite make the pass but came very close.

Top Bottom