CA or Epoxy for loose hardward?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm making a Cigar pencil and whenever I remove the top (as if refilling the lead or using the eraser) it pulls the click mechanism holder out just a tiny bit from the lower tube, maybe the width of a few sheets of paper tops. I want to glue this into the tube so the round band stays flush against the lower tube, is CA or epoxy the preferred way?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I'm making a Cigar pencil and whenever I remove the top (as if refilling the lead or using the eraser) it pulls the click mechanism holder out just a tiny bit from the lower tube, maybe the width of a few sheets of paper tops. I want to glue this into the tube so the round band stays flush against the lower tube, is CA or epoxy the preferred way?

Thanks in advance.

Neither. Use red(permanent) or blue ( can be removed with tools)loctite.

mecompco

Hmm, a coinkydink--I just sold a Cigar pen and before shipping I pulled the upper barrel off to check the refill. Of course, the pressed in part that the transmission threads in to pulled right out. I always use blue Loc-Tite so this was quite the surprise. I hit it with some medium CA and it seems OK. I'm a bit concerned as I've used Loc-Tite on a lot of pens.

Hmm, a coinkydink--I just sold a Cigar pen and before shipping I pulled the upper barrel off to check the refill. Of course, the pressed in part that the transmission threads in to pulled right out. I always use blue Loc-Tite so this was quite the surprise. I hit it with some medium CA and it seems OK. I'm a bit concerned as I've used Loc-Tite on a lot of pens.

That's not what I wanted to hear! Lol...I pressed the part in with some blue, really debated on if I should get red, kind of wish I would have now. I'll press the pen together tomorrow after the Loctite is cured. Hopefully I'll get some pics up, if not then Sat morning for sure.

TonyL

I use all of the above depending on how much strength and permanence I need . I have even used very small drops (or a single small drop) of the red loc-tite (not anything threaded) when thought the blue wouldn't do, BUT I still want to disassemble (and have been able to without heat it). It was all just judgement and therefore imperfect, but it suited the job.

edstreet

Er. CA does poor when it comes to bonding esp with thick gaps. Locktite does very poor like CA and equally poor. Some epoxy is very good with thick gaps and mileage varies by type of epoxy and not all epoxy is the same and there is a very vast spread of effectiveness with epoxy.

Bottom line is use what is needed for the task at hand.

Quality Pen

Thanks in advance.
I would never use CA for holding things together that you want to actually stay together. Eventually, it breaks down. In my experience, that eventually isn't particularly long either! If you never want to touch it again, red loctite will make you cry as you learn to use it, but it has it's place :tongue:

In your case, however, with no threads and a gap, maybe epoxy would work.

Top Bottom