CA discolors wood blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hump3366

Just started segmenting pens using aluminum cans and old credit cards. The problem ic the ca colors the wood and people ask what the black is in the pen segment??? It is darkened wood?? Any advice..... Paint or another sealer??

Does anyone have any other" secrets". For the segment divider in the pen?

Thanks as always

Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

The black is most likely sanding dust from the aluminum settling in the pores of the wood. It's not always noticeable until you apply the ca. The only sure fire way I've gotten around this is to not sand.

I've been fairly successful if I seal the wood thoroughly with ca after turning but before sanding then sand, clean the blank and seal again between each grit. It's time consuming but really needed on lighter woods.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've been using CA on wood for years and it has never discolored the wood, makes it slightly darker, but not discolored.
You didn't say how you finish your pen, but if you are using a friction polish, you may perceive the wood that has been darkened by the CA as being discolored. If you do a CA finish, you shouldn't notice ant color difference.
A picture of the affected area would be helpful in determining the cause.

Last edited:

Sawdust46

I second what Jason said. I did some scallop pens and when I sanded the open grain in the wood picked up the small aluminum particles. I learned from the original scallop pen maker to seal the wood with ca before sanding. Then sand and re-seal frequently. It worked for me.

hump3366

Clarification

Let me clarify my problem. The darkening of the wood usually happens after I glued in the insert between the two pieces of wood. not a big problem on dark woods just a problem on lighter woods or if I get into the glue at an angle then it's a problem

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Let me clarify my problem. The darkening of the wood usually happens after I glued in the insert between the two pieces of wood. not a big problem on dark woods just a problem on lighter woods or if I get into the glue at an angle then it's a problem
Back to my question, how are you finishing your pens? CA or friction polish or????
separator.gif

leehljp

Member Liaison
One thing I have learned about CA - it does not, for me, color anything. CA prevents color transfer. I do segments and when I use other finishes, some other finishes (lacquer, acrylic/Acetone, some urethanes) will leach some woods such as bloodwood and ebonies and transfer the colors to lighter colors.

IF the color transfer for you is grays, or blacks, it is usually present on the metal either before applying or occurs during sanding. It sounds like metal sanding dust. Are you sanding the metal before applying it? Are you sanding the metal and wood after it is glued up? This will certainly do what you said.

There are several ways to either prevent or remove and it is easier for me to prevent than to remove.

Some people use DeNatured Alcohol. Some use other liquids, still that is difficult to remove from light woods. I like working with holly and it is not easy to clean holly.

I discovered a technique that I later found that some others used - I turn the wood and metal segments smooth with a chisel, to the point that it does not need sanding. Hard woods are capable of turning with a scraper chisel until smooth. Turn the lathe on FAST and use a sharp sharp scraper and take small light bites. On softer woods, a skew does much better. A scraper does not work well on soft woods unless they have been stabilized well.

The problem with sanding segments with metal in it is that the metalic dust is plum ugly on beautiful wood. And removing it is a pain. Prevention is better.

IN the first pict below is a couple of pens that could not be sanded and therefore required metal dust prevention.
The second and third pict is a close up 4 years later. OF course you can not see any sanding dust because there was never any there. :)

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_30_Pieces_of_Silver.jpg
IAP Home - Photos - Clip end close up
IAP Home - Photos - segments '08

Last edited:

farmer

changing colors

your sanding to fine 320 max if you are going ebony to any other light colored wood .
compress air shooting on the wood as you are sanding.

metal rings will always pop after time. make a mandrel for the metal ring.
cut and polish to size then only sand the wood to the rings. and ca as you sand is a good idea too.
epoxy finish
131.jpg

on the 2nd piece over from the left lower part walnut into purple heart ,
is this what you are talking about.

ca finish
IMG_4153.jpg

Top Bottom