Status
Not open for further replies.

onewaywood

Hypothetically speaking if a person was to get a brass tube only partially
in before the ca glue set up would a debonder release the tube from the
blank [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Why risk it? If there's enough tube, just cut it off and glue the cut-off portion into the other end of the hole.

Not that I have any experience with this or anything. I think I heard it from Dario, or Eagle, or Frank, or somebody like that.

[:D]

Sawdustier

Now I'm not admitting to ever having done this but I have had a tube that was about 1/2" too long on one end and didn't meet the wood on the other end[}:)] I've tried cutting it off and regluing it but there was so little of it left I didn't feel confident about it staying put. I always have extra tubes (because of the aforementioned defective ones) so I just put it back on the drill press and drill out the tube and try again. The brass is soft and drills easier than the wood.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Soak it in acetone and it will push out.
Others may cut and reglue, can't bring myself to do it.
If it were the lower half of a PArker it wouldn't work. MAy as well do it right the first time.
(edit in)
I have a reason why I do the thngs I do or don't do.
When you assemble a pen you are pressing the ftting into a continuous cylindrical tube,one of the strongest geometrical shapes.
The shear strength of glue with metal is not all that great.
The second reason is there is no guarantee the tubes will line up on center unless the hole is zero clearance.If the hole is not zero clearance there will not be enough room for the glue.Not enough room for the glue and there will be a weak glue joint.
With the wall thickness many pens have the tube adds structural integrity and though not seen is a very important part of the pen.
There will be those who say the tube is not necessary and only there to hold the fittings.That may be true but to that I say the tube is there for insurance in that case.
Bottom line is you are going to spend a lot of time making the pen out of this blank you are going to glue up and intend for it to last a long time.
Continuing on by cutting the tube at this juncture would be like building a house and not giving a second thought to starting with a good foundation.
If the pen is not intended to last a long time or you feel like you can "whip it out in ten minutes" then by all means go ahead.
ME?, I would either do it correctly and try to debond it with acetone or throw it in the trash.
In the future.
Use THICK CA.
Plug the end of the tube with wax( some use potato).
Put a bead of glue IN the blank around the end you are going to insert the tube from, and little glue on the end of the tube.
Insert the tube with a twisting motion and don't pull it out and reinsert.
Hit both ends with accelerant.
You are done with that one.
I have used this method for 2 years and have not had a tube stuck half way in a blank that I can remeber.
If you use a different adhesive this won't happen but you will wait longer to turn your pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom