CA cure time?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I finished some pen boxes I made yesterday. (image below) I used CA glue on the felt liner, roping and center band. I set the barrel hinges, and left it overnight. Bad idea. The CA left a white power on the wood and the pen which I also had inside. Fortunately, I was able to polish the pen and box good as new. I need to mail this off tomorrow. My question is, if I leave it open overnight, will I be safe in sealing it in a shipping box tomorrow?

200861165459_Fig20.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Richard,

What choice do you have??

CA leaves that white powder on lots of surfaces. I learned a long time ago, use something else on glass (remember Dawn does stained glass, I've glued a lot of stuff to or near glass). The powder WILL usually come off easily, so I would put a "cautionary note" in the box. Addressed to the customer, just saying, clean with soft cloth and mild liquid cleaner. CAREFUL, if they use a good glass wax, it may get into your rope and leave a DIFFERENT white powder (DAMHIKT). That one is HARDER to get off.

In the future, there is a spray-on glue made for attaching felt to boxes - available at the sewing store. The rope can be done with "white glue" that dries clear or epoxy. There ARE glues for fabric - I have no personal knowledge of their effectiveness, perhaps someone else can give better guidance on the "fabric" angles.

BTW, Nice looking finish!!!

Good luck

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have seen cases where CA will off-gas for 48 hours or longer, although most of the time 24 hours is sufficient. The powder you see is cyanoacrylate. It is where the fumes have crystallized/cured. The safest bet is to leave anything where you've used CA glue open for at least a full day.

Rmartin

Ed, I did buy a couple of craft glues which dry crystal clear, but I just couldn't get either to hold in place while it was drying, so I used CA in spots and then drizzled the rope with CA. It soaked it up and dried clear. If I hadn't closed the box, I probably wouldn't have had this problem. I have four more to do, so I will know next time.

What choice do you have??

Well, I can delay sending the pen box until it's cured fully. I would rather it be a day or two late than to arrive all covered in white powder.

Rmartin

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In that case, I would call the customer and tell them that my shop is "not warm enough" "pretty humid" and the finish is not rock hard dry. Let him assume you are referring to the lacquer.

"I wouldn't want it to be less than perfect when you receive it, MR Customer. Would it be ok to delay shipping for a day or so, JUST to be on the safest side????"

That's what I would do, but YOU have to do what works for YOU!!

Rmartin

Thanks Ed

I'm going to leave it open all day, and close it overnight. If there is no more white powder in the morning, I should be good to go. If not, then I'll clean it up and delay sending.

Rmartin

bjackman

One more thought on the length of time your CA may continue outgassing.
How old is your CA?
Relatively fresh CA will tend to fully cure faster than if it's a bit old, in my experience. I have had CA that I really had no business using, but did anyway, outgas for weeks after it appeared to be fully cured.

Top Bottom