CA control between blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I've been making some Euros without a center band. I wanted to turn both parts at the same time, and be able to use the CA finish, all without a center bushing. I have been taking a hole punch to a 1" square piece of wax paper and then putting the square of wax paper between the wood blanks. It has worked great. The blanks have all come apart with no effort off the mandrel, and maybe just a bump on 320 grit sandpaper on the ends to do the final cleaning to get the wax paper off. I'm going to try a piece on some bushings next. Might just keep me from having to pop off the bushings in the future. I'll report back. I imagine I have read this technique in the past, maybe not. Just glad it works.

jkeithrussell

I've done something similar with good results. The only difference is that I put a slimline bushing between the two blanks after turning and sanding and before applying CA. It's easier to do this than dealing with the tenon when using CA.

Tn-Steve

One thing for sure, if you're using the woodcraft style bushings with a ring to help size the tendon and turn the cap to size, don't forget to remove that ring from the bushing set BEFORE you start doing your CA finish (DAMHIKT)

Cheers,

Steve

low_48

Good tips guys, but I mentioned that I am not using a center band. But, I sure have sent a glued up bushing mess into an acetone soak before!

Top Bottom