CA/cold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I wouldn't say that it doesn't work, because you can make it last longer by keeping unused CA in the freezer. But I typically leave mine inside the house where the temperature is constant and when applying, the application is much better.

toddlajoie

I'm in New England, and the lathe is in the un-heated garage, so cold is the word of the day from December thru March. I typically use Medium CA for my finish, and I've noticed 2 things with the cold. It takes a little longer to cure, and it tends to not lay down as smoothly. Other than that, so far so good...

My tiny room in the garage is unheated until I get in there and turn on my little heater and I have noticed nothing different with the CA.
Temps down to 24 in Central Louisiana:eek::eek::eek:
Those are the effects of global warming I mean climate change or whatever they will call it next on CA. NONE!!!

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I have a real issue with the finish when it's cold.

Here's a tip: I do this myself in my non-heated garage...

Place the small bottle in your shirt pocket to keep it warm. :)

spnemo

My shop is currently in the 40s (unheated basement) and I have no problems with my CA. However, I still prefer to use CA when the shop is WARM!

Pens By Scott

i've used my CA in the garage at -27C, a fair bit thicker, might have cured slightly slower, but I kept the bottle in my jacket pocket. (don't ask, I had a customer that just had to have one or my pens... who am i to complain)

Just a side note, you can turn pens in Ski gloves, but boy does it ever feel weird.

toddlajoie

i've used my CA in the garage at -27C, a fair bit thicker, might have cured slightly slower, but I kept the bottle in my jacket pocket. (don't ask, I had a customer that just had to have one or my pens... who am i to complain)

Just a side note, you can turn pens in Ski gloves, but boy does it ever feel weird.

LOL, I can feel your pain, I haven't TURNED wearing gloves, but I have kept them on whenever the tools were not in my hand, AND had my full hood-neck covering, sweater, winter jacket, 2 pairs of socks and heavy boots on (stark contrast from my stepping barefoot in some spilled CA in last summer...) But -27C (that's around -16F in case you're wondering, and DAMN cold either way...) is well beyond my threshold. I would probably start a campfire in the garage if I were persuaded to turn when it's that cold out.

Top Bottom