CA caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I'm using small bottles of CA to do my finishes. Usually 1/3 to 1/2 way through the bottle the cap is permantly glued on. How do you keep this from happening? Do I just need to replace the spout and cap with the ones I can get from Manny at WoodenWonders?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

you can replace the spout and lid, that works ok.
Or some of us just leave the lid off; that works ok, too.
tap the bottle on your bench to drain the spout back down into the container when done also,
that helps immensely.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I buy either a 16 or 32 oz bottle of medium CA from Monty. With that order, I'll buy either 8 or 16 2 oz bottles and a pack of spouts with caps. When the glue arrives, I fill each of the small bottles COMPLETLY FULL (so no air or condensation can get inside) and store all of the small sealed bottles except for one in the shop refriderator.

The one that I keep out, I pierce a hole in the nozzle and leave this bottle uncapped in the shop. Even under brutal South Georgia conditions (continuous 100 degree days with 90 percent humidity for at least 4 to 5 months per year), this glue stays fresh and the nozzle remains clear.

When the small bottle is emptied to 1/8 full, I set another 2 oz bottle out of the fridge and allow it to warm to room temperature. When the 1/8 full bottle becomes empty, I pierce the top on the new bottle and repeat the process.

I never have glue problems and I still very good quality CA glue for less than half the price of the "supply houses".

Last edited:

sgimbel

I didn't realize I could leave the cap off. I figured it would set up. Right now a bottle doesn't last a month so this may be my answer. Thanks guys.

IPD_Mrs

Another option is cherry pickers. Round wood balls with a stiff steel wire attached that can be slid into the hole of the applicator.

THarvey

I read somewhere to put a thin coating of Vasiline on the spout. I started doing that and have not glued a cap on since. I now keep a small bottle of Vasiline on my workbench.

The residual glue crystalizes, but does not stick. Just wipe the crystals off before using the glue.

Mark

Wow, I just wipe the tip off of excess.

Same here. But only my Med and Thick stay clean. I've refilled the small bottle twice now. The tip still looks brand new. I cap it all the time too.

Thin is a different story. No matter what I do, it gets messy. I end up cutting the tip off all together and just leaving it open. :biggrin:

Top Bottom