CA on bushings to prevent discoloration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Recently, someone posted on another topic a reference to the trick of applying CA to the bushings to prevent discoloration of lighter woods when sanding. I have run into this problem. Would someone care to elaborate on the process/technique?
Thanks,
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick Prevett

Richard, the idea was to coat the bushings next to light colored wood with CA so that while sanding, a brush of sandpaper against the bushings would not transfer metal dust onto the light wood, at least until you've sanded through the CA. But you shouldn't do that, now should you [;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jack,

Have you actually used this technique?

Looks great on paper, but I would think you'd sand off the CA with the slightest touch, is this wrong?

Inquiring.......know![:p]

dubdrvrkev

I think the best solution was not to sand the bushings [}:)] yeah yeah yeah it happens. One way to minimize that is to cut your sand paper into strips. I use 1-1.5" wide strips and cut up at least one whole sheet at a time and store the strips in excess pen kit bags since that is about how long I make them.
My bushings tend to keep a decent layer of CA on them some gets sanded off but usually gets replaced on the next set I turn.

airrat

Kevin question on CA finish. Have you had any problems with the heat in AZ. Does the CA become brittle?

BTW your sig is going to be so true this weekend. 112 degrees, someone buy me an iceberg.

Tom in Chandler

dubdrvrkev

Tom I think that CA is always somewhat brittle. What I have noticed is that since it has "warmed up" over the past few weeks my thick CA is not so thick anymore. Also it seems that CA doesn't set as fast as advertised times, except on you fingers, maybe because the very low humidity. I wonder if the summer heat will accelerate the cure time or ...? I am still pretty new to this myself (started Jan), maybe one of the more seasoned turners from our area can have some input.

I think I will break out the master cool in the shop this weekend. Although I have a feeling I wont get a lot of shop time in though, woodturners assoc meeting on saturday and my yard needs some serious attention.

airrat

I have noticed lately with my medium CA it is setting fast. I noticed it with a few different types of wood and a couple corian.

[:(]going to miss attending another meeting. Have not had a chance to attend one yet.

MDWine

I have gotten much more careful when sanding on light colored woods. I'm not sure I've completely solved the problem, but it is certainly helping!

I'll let you know how I do on this HOLLY! [xx(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom