CA/BLO Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rogerpjr

I'm new to this type finishing method. I've used straight CA for a long time on many different projects. Just what does the BLO do for the process?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crickett

In my opinion it makes the finish dull. CA on its own makes a nice, clear, deep finish but the BLO contaminates it. Although the BLO acts as an accelerator, so does the acceleration meant for CA.

its_virgil

A chemical engineer with a Phd gave me this report: The CA acts as a crosslinker for the BLO - you basically get an accellerated linseed oil resin matrix with added durability and water resistance.

(Normally, oxygen generates radicals in the oil which then act as crosslinkers -
a much slower reaction, and resulting in a resin with other properties than a CA-crosslinked BLO resin).

I don't know what that means or how it works. Of course, I don't know how an electric motor works but the one my lathe sure sure does a nice job. CA does a nice job as a finish and even better (for me) with the use of boiled linseed oil. I find the finish easier with the oil. Others disagree and use no oil.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Just what does the BLO do for the process?

ctubbs

I have tried it both ways and find that without BLO the applicator tends to attach itself more often to the blank. It appears that BLO also acts as a bit of lube. IMHO. YMMV.

Charles

garvan

There was another thread not long ago "Why BLO". In that thread there was reference to Russ Fairfields web site woodturnerruss.com. He explains it pretty well. Would post the link but do not know how. It my be worth reading it. It was for me.

its_virgil

like this: http://www.woodturnerruss.com and find the pages on finishes and finishing. The rest of the site is well worth the time spent there.
Don

There was another thread not long ago "Why BLO". In that thread there was reference to Russ Fairfields web site woodturnerruss.com. He explains it pretty well. Would post the link but do not know how. It my be worth reading it. It was for me.

Rfturner

I use BLO/CA finish. Every pen turner has thier opinion about BLO and CA or neither. That being said I find that my finishes come out better with BLO. I like to use it because it makes the CA not stick to the paper towel but on the blank

rogerpjr

I understood your friend's explanation fine. That explains it quite a bit. But I don't think it's going to change my use of CA only for an occassional finish. I just apply mine by dripping it on the pen and holding a plain paper towel to the pen while it turns slowly. I haven't had the towel stick yet, but now I'm sure it will the next time I do it. I'll check out Russ's site too.

its_virgil

Your welcome. I should have explained but I thought you would get it. Just use the whole url starting with http://www.
Actually, I think just www. works
www.woodturnerruss.com

or you can use the insert link button ... the icon with the world and a chain link in front of it. Just click and finish filling out the website url.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks Don for how to post the link. I need to go to the how to section and do some reading.

aggromere

I have long been a proponent of a combined CA/BLO finish, it is the way I first learned to do it. I have been 99% happy with my results. However, based on info from threads, trying to improve my product and decrease construction time this is what I do.

First I sand just to 400, depending on the wood I then either clean with DNA and set aside for the better part of a day to dry. (think it drys faster than that though) or apply a thin coating of BLO and continue turning until I get as much of the BLO off the blank as possible. I then apply three coats of thin CA spining at a slower speed than I turn and sand at. I then sand with 600 and 1,500 MM and wipe clean.

then I proceed with additional thin/medium coats of CA without BLO. I think this produces a shinier finish than I was getting when I used a little BLO on my papertowel with every coat.

pianomanpj

Peter,

Sounds like a good technique, but you may want to switch to using acetone to clean with since alcohol can introduce water into the blank.

Just my unsolicited two cents worth! :biggrin:

Top Bottom