CA Application Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I've just finished a pen and was starting to put it together when I noticed small WHITE lines in the barrel of the pen.I sanded up to 400,then cleaned up with sanding sealer to clean sanding marks,put on about 6 coats of thin CA,6 coats of med CA,sanded lightly with 400 Abranet then finished with micro 1500/12000,and now I have this problem.I used a small shot of accelerator between coats.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong,Is it the cleaning with sanding sealer,is it reacting with the CA?:at-wits-end:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fisher

did you by chance use air to blow out the dust .
And or shut the lathe down and sand the length of the barrow's.
i don't know how sealer act's with ca ,try one with out the sealer and do ca only after sand and air clean the barrels.
IM no expert ,but i will say when i started using air to clean the barrels after sanding ,my appearance of the pen's looked better.

robersonjr

The accelerator is causing the problem, let the CA dry naturally and avoid this problem, I had the same experience, now my finish is crystal clear.

StuartCovey

did you by chance use air to blow out the dust .
And or shut the lathe down and sand the length of the barrow's.
i don't know how sealer act's with ca ,try one with out the sealer and do ca only after sand and air clean the barrels.
IM no expert ,but i will say when i started using air to clean the barrels after sanding ,my appearance of the pen's looked better.

This is true. I blow my tubes off with compressed air before applying CA and it has made a big difference in my pens.

I'm also betting the sanding sealer is causing the ca to not bond very well with wood.

keithbyrd

On almost all woods now I blow off with air compressor, wipe down with alcohol and blow again. Then go through the CA finish process. Rarely have any trouble with CA.

ChrisN

I've run into that problem if I sanded between coats (of CA), and didn't clean the blank off with DNA before putting on another coat. Now I always sand to 600 grit, and clean with DNA before continuing.

kovalcik

What type of sanding sealer? You may have to let it set for a while to let the sealer outgas. Accelerator may be the problem if you are spraying it too close or the CA is going on too thick. Try letting the CA dry on its own and see if the issue goes away. It really does not take that long. If the issue goes away, then you can experiment on how you apply the accelerator.

Rick_G

I have run into this problem but only when I used accelerator. Now I seldom use it. If I do the spray bottle is at least 18 inches away from the lathe. Never used sanding sealer. I start with 2 coats thin CA, the first one soaks into and seals the wood. The second one is only used in case I missed a small spot or 2 with the first. Shop is right next to the rec room so I put on 8 - 12 coats of medium depending on what I need to match the fittings. I do not sand between coats. After the 1st coat of medium I go into the rec room and watch TV until the next commercial. If there is nothing worth watching on TV which is most of the time I find something else to do in the shop for 15 minutes then put on another coat of medium CA. When the CA is built up to where I want it I wet sand starting with 1000 grit, go to 2500 grit then 12000 grit. Then plastic polish to get the shine I want. I just use regular sandpaper, I destroyed my first batch of MM dry sanding not knowing any better and have not bothered to replace it.

Bean_Counter

Ive had this problem and have found that if I put the CA on to thick I'd get white specs. I quit putting thick coats on and no more problems. I also use accelerator and no problems with that

yorkie

Don't use air to blow off the CA dust between coats.

I use accelerant exclusively and have never had problems of clouding or lines. I have found PSI accelerant to be the best because of the atomizer. I spray sideways to the blank and let the dust collector pull the accelerant over the blank.

Put a small amount of BLO on a cloth and use this to wipe the blank. You get off ALL the dust and it also acts as an accelerant to the next application of CA.

Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom