CA Application

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

Can someone tell me a simple way to apply CA glue to my Pens.I did one but I'm not happy with it.Should I use thin or med CA?what lathe speed?Should I apply on paper towel or direct onto pen?when I use accelerator it turns a bit white,driving me crazy.I have watched the videos,it looks so simple.Please help.

www.etsy.com/shop/PatsHandcraftedPens:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Thin or med

Slow. Small spritz of accelerator from a little distance.

Paper towel is shat I like. Other methods work too.

It takes time to get it right.

yorkie

Mostly, applying a high quality CA finish is more about technique than process, it will take some time for you to develop a good feel and technique. I've written out my technique/process below and posted it in the past but I don't know if it made it to the library or not.

The main thing is to get a feel for the pressure you're applying against the wood when applying the CA and making sure you come off the wood and back on again several times quickly, otherwise it will create a pattern and not a seamless sheet.

My CA method

Some of this might sound goofy or silly, but I find this just works the best; for whatever reason.

I do not use bushings of any kind for my CA, just set the blank between centers and prepare to have to scrape CA off the live and dead center.
1. When you're ready to begin, wipe DNA on the blank as it's spinning on the lathe
2. Set lathe speed to around 800 rpm's (get as close to this speed as you can)
3. First coat is with thin CA and NO accelerant. I use the blue shop towels you get from auto parts stores and fold over and over lengthwise until it is about ¾ wide, about 4 foldings. I stream the thin onto the blank right to left while and follow underneath with the tip of the now folded blue shop towel. Be sure to cut it off right after and drop into water before it starts to smoke.
4. 2nd coat is thin CA with accelerant (I know some of you guys don't use accelerant at all so either way, it won't matter)
5. Buildup 7 layers of medium CA (with or without accelerant). I put a pea size drop of medium ca on the end of the folded blue shop towel and wipe this from the bottom of the blank right to left fairly swiftly. I go back and forth several times, changing the speed in which I move my finger along the blank, and removing it, but quickly putting back onto the blank once or twice-all of this action takes about 3-4 seconds. This motion is done in order to ensure the movement pattern is altered, so the CA is not allowed to form a pattern or pool on the blank. Again, right after, cut off that piece and drop it in a bucket or bowl of water before it begins to smoke.
6. Turn up lathe to around 2,000 rpm's (faster is okay but be careful of building up heat)
7. Use Abranet 600 grit and gently (heat is your enemy with CA finishes) but swiftly sand until you don't see any shine. Don't be crazy about getting it perfect, just get it really close and watch the heat build-up. This should take about 10 seconds at the most. If you start to orange peel before 7 coats, just do this step each time until you've gotten to 7 total coats.
8. Wipe off the dust with a little BLO, nothing else! Use BLO!
9. Stream two more layers of medium CA
10. Repeat step 7
11. One more layer of medium CA and then, spin your lathe at high speed for about 5 seconds and then bring it back down to 800 rpms for about 30 seconds (no accelerant at all on this final layer).
12. Remove from the lathe and let the CA cure for a day or overnight
13. Using sandpaper, or whatever method works best for you, remove the CA that has accumulated on the tips of the blank.
14. Put several drops of CA on a piece of wax paper and tap the ends (now bare wood after removing the CA that got on the tips) in the CA and kinda rub around a little, but quickly.
15. Use a cotton bud and fine paper towel (I like the Vista paper towels) to quickly wipe off the CA from inside the tube and from pooling on the ends. It will look a little messy on the ends but that will get sanded away.
16. Use wet sanding to go all the way to 12,000 grit. I sand left to right and in a circular motion, have your lathe running as fast as it will go. Keep it wet and cool.
17. Final step is to use whatever liquid you use for the final polish and apply it once or twice. Remember to not build up heat. Go light and fast.
18. Final step is to sit back and enjoy.
Some of this sounds goofy but I find it works and solves a lot of problems of blistering, cracking, splitting and that annoying bubbling you get once you've pressed the parts together.
Let me know how it turns out, guys! Good luck.
My CA method
Some of this might sound goofy or silly, but I find this just works the best; for whatever reason.
I do not use bushings of any kind for my CA, just set the blank between centers and prepare to have to scrape CA off the live and dead center.
1. When you're ready to begin, wipe DNA on the blank as it's spinning on the lathe
3. First coat is with thin CA and NO accelerant. I use the blue shop towels you get from auto parts stores and fold over and over lengthwise until it is about ¾ wide, about 4 foldings. I stream the thin onto the blank right to left while and follow underneath with the tip of the now folded blue shop towel. Be sure to cut it off right after and drop into water before it starts to smoke.
4. 2nd coat is thin CA with accelerant (I know some of you guys don't use accelerant at all so either way, it won't matter)
5. Buildup 7 layers of medium CA (with or without accelerant). I put a pea size drop of medium ca on the end of the folded blue shop towel and wipe this from the bottom of the blank right to left fairly swiftly. I go back and forth several times, changing the speed in which I move my finger along the blank, and removing it, but quickly putting back onto the blank once or twice-all of this action takes about 3-4 seconds. This motion is done in order to ensure the movement pattern is altered, so the CA is not allowed to form a pattern or pool on the blank. Again, right after, cut off that piece and drop it in a bucket or bowl of water before it begins to smoke.
6. Turn up lathe to around 2,000 rpm's (faster is okay but be careful of building up heat)
7. Use Abranet 600 grit and gently (heat is your enemy with CA finishes) but swiftly sand until you don't see any shine. Don't be crazy about getting it perfect, just get it really close and watch the heat build-up. This should take about 10 seconds at the most. If you start to orange peel before 7 coats, just do this step each time until you've gotten to 7 total coats.
10. Repeat step 7
11. One more layer of medium CA and then, spin your lathe at high speed for about 5 seconds and then bring it back down to 800 rpms for about 30 seconds (no accelerant at all on this final layer).
13. Using sandpaper, or whatever method works best for you, remove the CA that has accumulated on the tips of the blank.
14. Put several drops of CA on a piece of wax paper and tap the ends (now bare wood after removing the CA that got on the tips) in the CA and kinda rub around a little, but quickly.
15. Use a cotton bud and fine paper towel (I like the Vista paper towels) to quickly wipe off the CA from inside the tube and from pooling on the ends. It will look a little messy on the ends but that will get sanded away.
16. Use wet sanding to go all the way to 12,000 grit. I sand left to right and in a circular motion, have your lathe running as fast as it will go. Keep it wet and cool.
17. Final step is to use whatever liquid you use for the final polish and apply it once or twice. Remember to not build up heat. Go light and fast.

Some of this sounds goofy but I find it works and solves a lot of problems of blistering, cracking, splitting and that annoying bubbling you get once you've pressed the parts together.

Mike Powell

I use the little bags that the nibs come in to apply, put my fingers in the bag, under the blank. lathe on a speed that doesnt sling the CA as I run it across the top of the blank back and forth. a pass or two with CA, while leaving the bag going back and forth under it a few more passes.

Pat - Three words on CA finishing: practice, practice, practice. Then after that it's more practice. Lately I have been having my best finishes come out with just using thin. 8-10 coats seems fine. I apply to a small piece of a paper towel which is resting (lightly) on the spinning blank. The blank spins at the slowest speed the lathe can go. I change towel pieces often. I use accelerator but only very sparingly and not on each coat - just as needed.

Recent learnings are that the CA must be fresh. If the finish seems to be not curing quickly, then I am going to get fresh CA. DAMHIKT.

A milky or white appearance on or in the finish indicates too much accelerator was applied, or applied too closely to the spinning blank.

You are correct. The videos make it look simple. It isn't.

Best of luck!

kovalcik

This is not meant to brush you off, but this is one of the most frequently asked questions and there is a lot already written on it. Take a look in the finishing forum and you will find pages of information on different techniques and styles. There are also several good library articles. Peruse them. Take what makes the most sense to you and give it a go. I use a method I adapted (mostly) from Russ Fairfield's articles.

Two things I would stress:

1) Use thin coats of CA and build the finish up slowly. I usually do 8-15 coats of medium CA depending on the wood.
2) Patience. My advice would be to ditch the accelerator at least to start. Give the CA a few of minutes to dry completely between coats.
3) (I never could count) If you start getting ridges or bumps, you are violating step 1 or 2. Knock them down with sandpapaper before continuing.

Hope that helps.

Irish Pat

It seems my problem is that bumps are always on the piece of work after I put on the CA so now I should wait until each coat is fully dry.Thank you.

Dan Masshardt

Are you using thin or medium currently?

If you are using medium, put a couple coats of thin on last to fill it out. I usually prefer to add a bit more ca than sand a bunch off.

Irish Pat

Thank you Stephen for the very detailed answer.I'm sorry to say but we don't have BLO in Ireland.Can you use something similar?

peepsquirrel

How I apply CA

I apply CA with a strip of Tyvek (from a FedEx envelope) layered on top of a foam strip. I have problems with the shop towels leaving little fibers on the pen. It can get really bad if I'm applying CA over a cigar band or other label with edges that catch the towel. Tyvek doesn't leave fibers. The foam strip adds enough cushion to keep the applied film fairly even.

It does take practice to apply it without streaks. Thin coats with multiple passes is the key.

I use accelerator after every coat. Never had a problem. I spray a quick mist from 2 feet away.

I only use the Stickfast medium CA made for finishing. This is not the same CA you use to secure the tubes. The finishing CA is vastly superior to the regular CA, as it goes on cleaner and clearer. It has a white cap and not blue.

Hope this helps.

southernclay

I use thin and then medium CA very similar to post already on this thread. When done I hit with 400 abranet and go through micro mesh dry and then a plastic polish. I was using pads to wet sand and that was creating issues so switched to dry and micro mesh. The answer about the accelerator either too close or too much sounds right. Practice and your figure out what works for you. I've had many disappointments but sticking with it pays off. It's not the only finish but a great one to have. I'm happy I've stuck with it and finally seeing some pretty decent finishes

hagemierj

Well, I'm new but I have been getting better and better results with this approach:

- Rapid light sanding from 180 to 600 grit Abernath, clean with Denaturized alcohol.
- Make strips of paper towels repeatedly folded to roughly 1.5 inch width.
- Use 4-5 drops of medium CA for each application.
- Hand turn the piece (no power, kept getting spiral coatings) and rapidly wipe the CA back and forth until the CA coat is even.
- Spin the piece under power for a minute or two, no accelerator (I kept getting white frosting), until there's no tackiness.
- Repeat application (no sanding) until I have between 6 to 10 coats, then micro mesh through 12000.
- One medium coat of Hut polish, piece spinning on high speed.

There may be a bunch of things wrong with my approach, but it works for me every single time.

Hope there's something of value there for you!

J

Jerry944t

The only thing I'll add, since everyone seems to have their particular method is that I never use a chemical accelerator.

I used to build model planes and I have a heat gun that was used to shrink the coverings. Much handier than chemicals and works wonders. I never get any kind of imperfections using my Monocote heat gun.

Jim Burr

Banned
I use a folded paper towel to about 4"...hold it underneath the blank, squirt the glue on the towel and move back and forth for 3-4 seconds. Lathe is still running...depending on how you feel about life, shoot some accelerator...use a different corner of the towel and repeat. And repeat...and repeat. Then figure out the level and style of finish you want and work from there!

butchf18a

WOW!

Mostly, applying a high quality CA finish is more about technique than process, it will take some time for you to develop a good feel and technique. I've written out my technique/process below and posted it in the past but I don't know if it made it to the library or not.

The main thing is to get a feel for the pressure you're applying against the wood when applying the CA and making sure you come off the wood and back on again several times quickly, otherwise it will create a pattern and not a seamless sheet.

My CA method

10. Repeat step 7
My CA method
10. Repeat step 7

Wow. Would never demean anyones technique. I can do Ca finish on pen in less time than it takes to read this.

Agree, different methodologies work for different people. Find one you like, practice with it, make it your own. CA finish is a learned technique, good luck.

Top Bottom