CA aplication, finishing and dehumidifier

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickycan

Hi!
I'm a relative new in penturning and I have some questions .Here they are :
1.-What's the ideal speed for CA aplication and depends it of the CA viscosity?
2.-Whats the ideal speed for MM and depends of wet or dry MM sanding.
3.- Had any one tried to aply CA finish in a room with less than 40% of humity dried with an electric dehumidifier ?
Thaks in advance

IPD_Mrs

Hi!
I'm a relative new in penturning and I have some questions .Here they are :
1.-What's the ideal speed for CA aplication and depends it of the CA viscosity?

We apply at the slowest speed. If you apply it when spinning too fast is with splatter everywhere,

2.-Whats the ideal speed for MM and depends of wet or dry MM sanding.

Again slowest speed. You don't want to heat the blanks up or you might end up with cracking problems down the road.

3.- Had any one tried to aply CA finish in a room with less than 40% of humity dried with an electric dehumidifier ?
Thaks in advance

In the winter our humidity is in the 20% rande and in the summer as high as 90%. We have more problems with high humidity than we do with low.

Hope this helps some.

aggromere

I would start with slower speeds to apply the CA. As you get the hang of it you can speed it up, but as Mike and Linda said, keep it slow enough so you don't get glue everywhere.

I have only wet sanded with MM and instead of going real slow I apply a light touch after the first 1500 one and spin the lathe pretty fast. I keep it wet to build up a slurry and keep the blank cool.

I lived in Arizona where humidity was non existent. Now in Florida were it is very humid. Either I am getting better or it is easier to apply in higher humidity.

Just the way I do it.

As to viscosity, I do not vary my techinque wether I am using thin or medium CA. (i don't use thick for finishing). If it helps, I'm always open to suggestion.

Top Bottom