CA ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djz9

I have noticed a few posts about CA and it letting go, I just noticed for the first time in about two years, I have had a couple of tubes unglue from the stock while I am turning them. I did just purchase a new tube of green ultra CA, but I think my last bottle was also used on one or two. Can’t say that I have changed anything, and it is not just one type of wood. Has anyone else noticed any change, I always sand the tubes, let them set, most a couple of hours in between, and it is not everyone, I would say it has happened maybe 4 or 5 out of 15 and not both sides of the tubes, and not any one size tube or even one suppliers tubes, so that only seems to put it on me, or the CA. Any Idea’s? Thanks Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djz9

Thanks Rob, but this is the same thick Ca that I alwasys use, and I make sure I turn the tube when I insert it for full coating, I also take a small file and try to put a couple of groves in the stock, just so the glue can hold. I use a shop smith, maybe I am turning to fast and it is heating up the tube? Don't know.

rjwolfe3

I use 15 min epoxy sometimes, not sure if its clear or not, looks kinda murky, but I just hate waiting for the epoxy to get good and hard. I'm still learning patience.

djz9

Thanks Rob, I need Patience for dummies myself, I try to prep 3 to 5 at a time, so I can take a break and let them dry, then I will prep more are I get down to the last one or two. If I did one at a time, I would never give it any time to dry, it is hard enough to put it aside just to drill the next one.

JohnU

I use devcon 5 min. epoxy I get at Walmart. It comes in a 2 part plunger that released both tubes at the same time so no need to measure each part. Its about $2 a tube and will glue about 20 blanks. Just dont mix more than you can apply in 5 min.

rherrell

I only use CA and only have trouble when I make a fundamental turning mistake. Take lighter cuts and use sharp tools. Make sure your tool rest is not too low and just be more careful in general. What type of glue you use is not an issue as long as you get full coverage.
Another thing is the size hole you drill. I find some of the "recommended" drill sizes are way too big. Check that out for a possible cause.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by djz9

I also take a small file and try to put a couple of groves in the stock, just so the glue can hold.

CA needs a snug fit to work well... so I wouldn't advise using grooves... grooves may give other glues an avenue to expand and spread etc. but CA wants nearly no gap at all.

dweir

I used to use CA, but after browsing the board, I switched to Devcon 5 min. epoxy. Works great. I even quit sanding the tubes and have not had one pop-out or fail yet. The Devcon is about 1.99 at the local wally world.

Just my .02

Dave

Top Bottom