Buying Supplies Online

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chefjoseph742

I am new to pen making, also a new member to this great sight.I have truly enjoyed and respected the shared information all of you give one another. Recently I had to go on disability after 40 years in the workplace. Although, the last 30 years of my career had been as an Executive Chef, my relaxation away from the stresses of work have been working with all kinds of different woods. So what better way to supplement my forced retirement than with wood. With the physical limitations that MS bestowed me, I thought Pen Making would be PERFECT. I have been buying my supplies from vary sights and recently placed an order with Pen Making Supplies.com a Steelbar co. and havent recieved my merchandise. Placed my order 5/28 it was charged to my card on 6/2 and here it is 6/10 and nothing. I have tried to contact them 2 X via email and 1 X via phone. My 2 questions are, have any of you used them and how did it go, also did I make a mistake by ordering from this sight?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

sorry, but yes, you likely made a mistake. any time you are getting ready to order from someone you don't have a previous relationship, drop their name here, you are likely to have lots of input. You will probably want to contact your CC provider and file a dispute to try and get back your $$. Even mentioning the "S" word (Steebar) here is going to get a rollicking debate/vent session going.

avbill

Joseph,

There are two things you can do.

1.) Call your credit card company and tell them you have not received the merchandise. Allow the credit card company to deal with the "S" company.

2.) If you sent the the money via the US Mail. The "S" company can be in terrible with the federal Law Agents.

If anyone has a question about any company-and you still want their product always sent payment by US MAIL. If you do not get your products the Feds love an open and closed case. Be sure you have a delivery confirmation to the mail you sent.

My son bought a computer through the interest and was going to pay via paypal. But I told them why he should sent the payment via US MAIL. After three weeks of no product I called the feds. and the person was behind bars within 24 hours. they (the feds)were searching for a open and closed case that broke federal law. Sometimes snail mail works in your favor! The bad part about the story was my son paid a higher price for the computer. The best thing about this story was my son got his money back! and learned a valuable life lesson.

Joseph hope every thing works out for you!

Bill Daniels

airrat

How is it such a poor company can get so many people to buy. Where are they advertising? Joseph where did you hear about steebar? I think we as a community should look to find some way to help fellow turners, unless it would be a legal problem.

JohnU

I found them surfing the web for pen kits but luckly, I had read some of the posts here and managed to stay clear. Joseph, there are several good vendors listed here. If your just starting out, and making less expensive kits for now, WoodnWhimsies.com and Woodturningz.com are 2 with very low prices and great customer care.

Stephen

I would add, WoodNwhimpsies are the best from my experience. Their prices are very good and they do not fleeze you on postage expecially for an international customer which can be very high. Most vendors take the easy way out at the expense of the customer. WoodNwhimsies service is great. Nice people to do business with.
I tried to order a small zippered pen portfolio from one of the big boys which was offered at USD 8.99 and they quoted USD 27.19 for international shipping. Perhaps their computer programming requires a re-programming. A quick check with USPS web page quotes approx USD 12.00 for an international flat rate envelope. Just expressing my frustration.

woodworker

First, welcome to the forum. It will serve you well as most here have been up against most any problem you run across.

You have my sympathy re: the Steebar purchase. I made the same mistake. Oddly, my order from them arrived about a month after my credit card was charged. I have since avoided them as many were not that fortunate. I have to add that Bethlehem Olive Wood Supplies got my money 4 months ago and I still have received nothing from them.

There are many excellent suppliers online, however. Wood-N-Whimsies has been mentioned. They ship quickly. I would add Arizona Silhouette and Woodturningz if you want fast service. Good luck.

pentex

Will, I ordered BOW from that same company two months ago and still nothing. I filed a paypal complaint and am supposed to get my money refunded thru paypal. Keeping my fingers crossed.

GoodTurns

Originally posted by JohnU

I found them surfing the web for pen kits but luckly, I had read some of the posts here and managed to stay clear. Joseph, there are several good vendors listed here. If your just starting out, and making less expensive kits for now, WoodnWhimsies.com and Woodturningz.com are 2 with very low prices and great customer care.

very good recommendation for starting out, both have very good prices and take good care of their customers.

woodworker

Originally posted by pentex

Will, I ordered BOW from that same company two months ago and still nothing. I filed a paypal complaint and am supposed to get my money refunded thru paypal. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Harold, Thanks for that. I may try the paypal complaint route and see what happens.

MobilMan

Joseph-Have you got a "Woodcraft" store in your area? Looks like there are 5 of them scattered out in Florida. Yes, these companies mentioned here are good, but to "see" first hand on some of the products, tools, etc. it's nice to look at it. They carry all the pen stuff you need to get started & most are happy to show you how.

MobilMan

742. You are so correct on your last entry. This is the BEST & even when a question is asked that has been asked many a time before, these members are ready to give you their best/honest answer. Don't hesitate to ask. You'll find the best of the best right here on IAP. And, like I used to tell my employees--"the only stupid question is the one not asked".

Top Bottom