Buying a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am new to pen turning and I am ready to buy a lathe. I have a few options and need advice. Option 1, Rikon 70-100 used, 17 months old with the metal stand for $400...the stand alone is normally $159, or option 2, buy a new 70-100 without the stand for $400. Option 3, is the Rikon variable speed version for $549 new. I am not big on buying used items but this seems like a good deal. Is it worth it to buy the variable speed or is 70-100 just fine? If I buy the used one which includes the stand what should I look for when I buy it? Any opinion on PSI's Turncrafter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Variable Speed for sure. Buy new...can't go wrong. Used is used. PSI lathes...read the customer reviews. They seem to be very positive. And their customer service is very good. I bought a stand from PSI.

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!

edit....if money is not an object consider a Jet 1015VS or 1221VS

Last edited:

KenV

Having turned on several -

Rikon is good -- stable

Jets are good -- have an older Jet 10-14VS that I am satisfied with (and a big lathe)

Delta is good to turn on - switch takes a bit of getting used to. Parts for repair are a reported problem.

Variable Speed is a must for me -- will not go back to lots of belt changes. Usually leave the Jet 1014 in the middle and turn most things there.

Was not especially impressed with the one experience with turncrafter -- finishes were rough and movement of banjo was not as smooth as I like. Functional and works.

Cmiles1985

The Robust American Beauty is on sale at the SWAT symposium :biggrin:

Welcome aboard! I'll second what has been said above. The Rikon seems to be a nice machine. I've looked at it this weekend, and if I were buying a midi lathe right now, I would probably go for the Rikon. I personally have a Jet, and I like it. BUT, it is a few hundred dollars more, and if you're not too sure about this being a full time hobby, you may not want to sink that kind of dough into it.

hornet406

I have the Rikon 70-100 variable speed and it is awesome. Bought it used about 4 years ago and i had an issue with the circuit board shortly after I purchased it. Rikons outstanding customer service replaced it for free even though I didn't purchase it new. You wont be disappointed!

Skie_M

Bought the Harbor Freight Mini Wood Lathe (8 inch swing, 12 inch bed) variable speed lathe (1/5th HP motor, I think) ... got it new while it was on Mother's Day Weekend sale this past year, and scored a 25% off coupon for it to boot. Paid $109 after taxes.

While yes, it's quite underpowered for making larger bowls (I have trouble with 6-inch items), I've had no real issues making pens at all. My tailstock doesn't want to stay in position, sometimes, but that's just because my dust collection needs an upgrade. Debris keeps getting under the tailstock and letting it slide on me. As soon as I upgrade my dust collection, these problems will be a thing of the past, for my pen making projects.

I'm quite happy with my purchase. The motor speed control operates fairly smoothly, and it runs from 750 - 3200 rpms. The headstock and spindle line up quite nicely. The tool rest needed a little work (was covered in black enamel, so I grabbed a metal file and made it nice and shiny smooth).

I still need to get a decent 4-jaw chuck, and I need a drill chuck big enough to do 1/2 inch bits .... my 3-jaw lets me get by with rounding my stock before drilling on the lathe, but a 4-jaw, particularly with pen blank drilling jaws, would make my work go by a lot faster. My problems with picking a chuck? They all cost MORE THAN MY LATHE. Ok, now I'm sad .... but that's alright. You wanna do more than just make pens, right? :) Don't bother with the HFT mini wood lathe if you wanna do more than just pens.... keychains ... bottle stoppers ....

Ok, I can do anything that PSI sells as a kit except those big peppermill thingies.

monophoto

I have the 12" Turncrafter and am very pleased with it. Great for pens, bottle stoppers, small bowls and platters. The 1HP motor rating is adequate for drilling.

Two comments about the Turncrafter. First, the speed range that the Turncrafter has 'out of the box' may not match the specs. This is not a flaw - call PSI and ask to speak to Joe Roberts. He will walk you through the process of tweaking the speed controller to get any speed range you want.

Second, the indexing function is for indexing. It is NOT a spindle lock. DAMHIKT.

MTViper

When I first bought my lathe, 6 years ago, I researched different types, sizes, and brands of lathes. Almost every review I read started with "I bought XYZ lathe and 6 months later, I decided I needed a bigger lathe ..." Had a friend who started turning after I did who did the same thing. I opted for a lathe that would do everything I thought I would want to do with the features I wanted. VS was essential. I wound up with a Jet 1642 and haven't needed more since then. My recommendation is buy the largest lathe your budget and your shop space will allow. You won't regret it. Stick with a major brand - there is a quality difference.

Joey-Nieves

I am new to pen turning and I am ready to buy a lathe. I have a few options and need advice. Option 1, Rikon 70-100 used, 17 months old with the metal stand for $400...the stand alone is normally $159, or option 2, buy a new 70-100 without the stand for $400. Option 3, is the Rikon variable speed version for $549 new. I am not big on buying used items but this seems like a good deal. Is it worth it to buy the variable speed or is 70-100 just fine? If I buy the used one which includes the stand what should I look for when I buy it? Any opinion on PSI's Turncrafter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Ricon variable speed and I love it, having said that, I also know that there are other lathes out there made by the manufacturer that are very well bundled. I bought my lathe for $259 + shipping, in my case $70 because I live in PR. Woodturningz has a shop fox for $199 that is the same thing, they also have a Nova comet II for $399 and nova is a fantastic lathe.
What ever you decide I would recommend that it should have a 12" swing over the bed, Variable speed, MT2, and 1x8 thread on the head stock. If you think you can really get in to this and can afford a little more you may consider a metal lathe, that's going to be my next step, They will do everything that the wood lathe will do, but you will have a machine that will help you make some of your own tools, jigs and parts for your pens. Also you will get into kitless (it's the natural evolution) and that is where the investment will pay off. I wish I had gone there when I started.

I hope this helps
Joey

TurtleTom

Several years ago when I was deciding which Rikon to buy, they were having a lot of problems with the variable speed so I didn't buy it. Now, even though I am the man of patience and use changing belts as a focusing moment, (anybody buying that?), I now wish I had bought the variable speed.....and you should too as it has twice the horsepower, something mine needs. Turning a 10" bowl needs the bigger motor. It takes a long time because you have to take light cuts or stall the lathe.
Now neither one is big enough. Waiting on Santa Claws.

Top Bottom