buying blanks on ebay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

Have any of you bought many blanks off ebay? I have been looking for some nice amboyna burl for a JR statesman. There is a seller on eBay geraldine5588 that has some very nice looking burls on a regular basis. I haven't bought amboyna before so don't know what is a good price.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I've bought quite a bit from different sellers on eBay, had lots of success, but haven't gotten any amboyna. I am thinking that $12 per blank is on the high side for amboyna, but not terrible. The quality looks good, but definitely not top grade. There is a guy on the "penturning supplies" and "penturning supplies auction" groups on Facebook that sells a lot of amboyna. He is usually around $7 to $10 per blank and has some really high quality stuff, some of the auctions end as low as $5 per blank if quality isn't excellent. The downside being it ships from Indonesia and is usually not completely dry (doesn't kiln dry). If you only want one blank, maybe check out Griffin Exotic Woods, their price is higher but you can buy a single blank. Griffin has some really unique stuff, never purchased from them, but have heard good things.

Last edited:

magpens

I have bought amboyna and other woods from geraldine5588 on Ebay. Service was good and product quality was also good.

There are a couple of Hawaiian Ebay vendors of pen blanks, specializing in "ethnic" woods like Koa, etc. . I have found them to be very good to deal with and they have good product.

One of those Hawaiian companies is Hawaiian Hardwood Woodworks, or a similar name.

I highly recommend them.

Herb G

I have not bought blanks on Ebay, but I have bought lumber. Not ordinary lumber, mostly exotics.
I got lucky once & bid $.99 for a hunk of wood and ended up winning.
I think the guy lost his shirt on that deal because the s&h was like $43, IIRC.
I wanted to buy some more from them, but they closed their account after that deal.

:rolleyes:

Talltim

Thank you for your replies. it is always good to know as many resources as possible.

I am not familiar with the Facebook penturners auction site. I don't do facebook much. Where would I find that? Is it part of the IAP site?

Dehn0045

I am not familiar with the Facebook penturners auction site. I don't do facebook much. Where would I find that? Is it part of the IAP site?

It is not part of IAP. Both of the groups that I mentioned are "closed" groups, which means you need to request membership and be approved before you can see the posts and participate. Once you are logged into Facebook, go to "Groups" and search "turning supplies", you should see "Pen Turning Supplies" and "Turning Supplies Auction", click the one you want to join and press a button the should say "join" or something like that. A moderator will review your request and approve you assuming you are not obviously a scammer. I hope this helps, if not PM me and I will try to help you out.

Top Bottom