Buy the carbide tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

If you don't have the bucks to spare, they're pretty easy to make. Well worth the time spent and doesn't really take all that long to make one.

I made both of mine, square and round for about $30 bucks with the cutters. Could'nt afford $120, could'nt justify it really. That $30 does the same thing as $120 :confused: an ash handle might not be as fancy as a bubinga. But those tools are nice to turn with.

Captian Eddie Castelin on utube and at Big Guy Productions. Big selaction of carbide cutters for 1/2 or less.I have handled all but two for about 10% or less each. Would not have had one for the high cost of buying them. Buy the supplies local. I will do the latest two also. When they "do" need it,just turn them down on a diamond card for several strokes and you are ready to go again. The thing is, I don't know if I may enjoy making my own tooks as much as turing pens. That is saying a lot. And like here, he is great to deal with. Lots of videos. Even live on ustream on Wednesday 7pmPM cn,and Saturday 2PM cn. Have fun!

Neededwill

I like mine but still trying to figure how to exactly use it since it has a 45 degree angle for the cutter. It says to stay level to the floor but I find I have to angle down below center and move upward to start the cut the go left or right. I am a beginner but I do so much better with my gouge and skew. I will keep using it till I find the right technique though.

longbeard

I like mine but still trying to figure how to exactly use it since it has a 45 degree angle for the cutter. It says to stay level to the floor but I find I have to angle down below center and move upward to start the cut the go left or right. I am a beginner but I do so much better with my gouge and skew. I will keep using it till I find the right technique though.

When i go from square to round, i use just the right corner of my radius cutter, about 1/16''. I only use the radius cutters, me and square cutters dont get along.

Hendu3270

If you don't have the bucks to spare, they're pretty easy to make. Well worth the time spent and doesn't really take all that long to make one.

Exactly! There's nothing to it. Made both of mine. If you've been turning for a little while, you've probably already obtained the tools to make one.

plano_harry

Randall, not really sure of what you are describing, so pardon me if what I say does not apply. First, I presume you have the bevel on the underside and the top is flat. I use a cutter that is almost square - 4" radius curve on each side. While rounding and turning to size, I hold handle level and generally square to the lathe axis with the cutter on about a 45 degree slope so the edge to the wood is much like you might hold your skew. I don't hand blank corners or crossgrain like I would when I had the cutter edge flat. When i am within .05 or so of my finished diameter, I lay the cutter down flat and lightly scrape the blank to get a smooth finish -- rarely requiring more than a 400 grit sanding prior to finish. These are great tools and I hope that helps you get more out of it.

Harry with no beard

swampgobbler

the high dollar ones claim to use carbide cutters made from wood and suggest the "cheaper" models are using cutters made for metal. is this true? i've only used one cheap model I got from ebay and I didn't like it. was thinking of trying a different brand

longbeard

I got my first set from ebay, then i got some from, well i just looked in my favs, and i dont see it now. Where i got them from, they had different kinds of cutters, the ones i did get are the 4'' radius style, 20 to a pack.
The one got from ebay, was it square or a radius cutter? I prefer the radius, either the 2'' or 4'' radius on all 4 sides style cutters.

Last edited:

longbeard

the high dollar ones claim to use carbide cutters made from wood and suggest the "cheaper" models are using cutters made for metal. is this true? i've only used one cheap model I got from ebay and I didn't like it. was thinking of trying a different brand

Found it, Global tooling, scroll down to the 11th one down, maked
Knives marked with 'BT' still on my first one and i've turned alot of pens, candle holder, pepper mill from cherry, and a few bottle stoppers.
Hope this helps.

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

Last edited:
I was having trouble with my carbide cutter when I first got it and one of the guys here told me to use my round cutter until I got used to it. That helped me a lot! I would definitely get round cutters also!

Hendu3270

Can't speak to what the ones on Ebay are, but I bought my cutters from woodcraft. They are the Easy Wood Tools replacements I believe.

I can tell you if a carbide cutter is made for metal, it's sure as heck gonna cut wood like butter. Not neccesarily the other way around. You gotta be careful when relying on Ebay descriptions though.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

I was having trouble with my carbide cutter when I first got it and one of the guys here told me to use my round cutter until I got used to it. That helped me a lot! I would definitely get round cutters also!

It's funny, I believe the name brand guys say (correct me if I'm wrong), the square cutters are the "roughers" and the round cutters are the "finishers". It's totally the opposite for me. I use my carbides on pens only and nothing else and I feel way more comfortable using the round cutter for roughing and making my final couple of passes with the square for a really smooth surface. The round cutters just seem to be much easier to control.

Last edited:
It's that way for me too. If you get too aggressive with the 4" curve and get to the point they will gouge right in. The trick is to see where the cut is being made and stay away from the edges. It is very much like using your skew. If you keep the cut away from the edges of the skew you will have good results. If you allow the tip or heal to hit you are going to make a mess. Same with the carbide tools. I can make a very light cut or a very heavy cut with the round insert. I can also lower the handle and get a very clean cut for finishing. You have to practice practice practice and get used to the tool before you will be a master of it.

RMayoIII

It's funny, I believe the name brand guys say (correct me if I'm wrong), the square cutters are the "roughers" and the round cutters are the "finishers". It's totally the opposite for me. I use my carbides on pens only and nothing else and I feel way more comfortable using the round cutter for roughing and making my final couple of passes with the square for a really smooth surface. The round cutters just seem to be much easier to control.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the way I use the tools but I see I'm not the only one that uses them "backwards"! The round cutters, for me, do a super quick roughing with far less catching than the squares and if use the squares for more than a quick smoothing I get a ton of chatter. Does anyone else get that or is it my technique?

plano_harry

I thought maybe something was wrong with the way I use the tools but I see I'm not the only one that uses them "backwards"! The round cutters, for me, do a super quick roughing with far less catching than the squares and if use the squares for more than a quick smoothing I get a ton of chatter. Does anyone else get that or is it my technique?

I don't have any round cutters, I probably should try one. Seems to me it would be harder to turn a straight side with a round cutter than a radiused one.

Regarding chatter on the radiused or square cutter, I presume you are holding it flat when that happens. If your tool rest is in close and the top cutting edge of your cutter is on the centerline, you might try dropping the handle a little to ride the bevel a little more. A sharp tool should not chatter if the tool rest is set right and you are not below center. Hope I understood your questoin and that it helps.

Hendu3270

... if a carbide cutter is made for metal, it's sure as heck gonna cut wood like butter. Not neccesarily the other way around.
As I understand it, cutters made for metal have a different relief angle than cutters for wood. You want to get the ones made for wood.

Regards,
Eric

That makes sense. But a quick up or down of the handle slightly would bring the bevel into proper position though. If I'm thinking about that right.

rossvh

Ditto for me. Much better control with round and then light touch on the square to finish.
RossVH

walshjp17

I have some EWT and some of Eddie Castelin's carbide tools. Like them both. For best results, you definitely need to hold the tools so they are level to the floor as mentioned previously (unless your floor is warped :tongue:). EWT sells a small level that you can use (Velcro onto your tools) to help you learn to keep it level. Or, any small (1" or so) level will work.

My favorite is the EWT Easy Pen Turner. I use it and a Spindle Master on almost all of my pens.

crokett

I do something most don't with my radiused carbide cutters. I will roll the tool on its side to do shear cuts. For difficult wood and rounding off square blanks this helps prevent blowout.

RMayoIII

I do something most don't with my radiused carbide cutters. I will roll the tool on its side to do shear cuts. For difficult wood and rounding off square blanks this helps prevent blowout.

That is how I use my square and radiused cutters also. Every time I try to keep them level to the floor they catch horribly! Even though I use a shearing cut they still chatter though. I'm going to have to try a different height on the rest to see if it goes away. Thats the biggest reason I only use them for light finishing touches.

jcm71

It's that way for me too. If you get too aggressive with the 4" curve and get to the point they will gouge right in. The trick is to see where the cut is being made and stay away from the edges. It is very much like using your skew. If you keep the cut away from the edges of the skew you will have good results. If you allow the tip or heal to hit you are going to make a mess. Same with the carbide tools. I can make a very light cut or a very heavy cut with the round insert. I can also lower the handle and get a very clean cut for finishing. You have to practice practice practice and get used to the tool before you will be a master of it.

Strange, because I usually have no problem doing just that. I always lead with the left edge (corner) especially when I'm approaching the bushing. No problems. It's a little different leading with the right corner due to the cant of the cutter in the tool. I usually then just reverse the blank in the lathe and lead with the left. BTW I use a 4" curve exclusively. Different paths to the same destination I guess.

Strange, because I usually have no problem doing just that. I always lead with the left edge (corner) especially when I'm approaching the bushing. No problems. It's a little different leading with the right corner due to the cant of the cutter in the tool. I usually then just reverse the blank in the lathe and lead with the left. BTW I use a 4" curve exclusively. Different paths to the same destination I guess.

Those edges just killed me. I was new to the tool too maybe I will give it another try now that I have been using it for 8 months or so?

crokett

That is how I use my square and radiused cutters also. Every time I try to keep them level to the floor they catch horribly! Even though I use a shearing cut they still chatter though. I'm going to have to try a different height on the rest to see if it goes away. Thats the biggest reason I only use them for light finishing touches.

I have 2 shop-built carbide tools. One has 1/2" cutter. the bar is about 14: long, the handle is another 16" or so. I thought that was huge for pens so built another much smaller tool. I started having problems with it. On square blanks it is light and gets knocked around easier. The big tool has more mass. Also, the big tool I actually have more control with. I can lock it to my side with my elbow and just use slight body movements to move it around. I switch to the smaller tool for final shaping.

jcm71

Those edges just killed me. I was new to the tool too maybe I will give it another try now that I have been using it for 8 months or so?

Good luck. Just don't be to aggressive. Shallow cuts only and go slow. Just to clarify, I don't lead with the left edge when the blank is out of round. I probably should have been clear about that in my original post. I've also had success addressing the blank with the handle about 45 degrees to the left and cutting with the corner. Haven't tried turning the tool on its side yet. That's coming.

I put the #4 back in my carbide tool. Wow this works great. I guess I just needed more experience. Not a single catch. I was trying to use it more like a scraper back when I first got the tool. It works much better now that I have gained more control over it to begin with.

lrawlins

Carbide for wood vs. metal

The difference is the geometry of the carbide insert. Most metal cutting inserts have a negative cutting angle. To us wood turners they would be so dull they wouldn't cut anything. Metal cutting is often by brute force rather than a shear action.

If you opt for a metal cutting insert it needs to have a positive cutting rake and also be ground rather than molded.

Bye,

ghostrider

I have the EWT Mini-Finisher. I've used a friend's Woodchuch. I also have one I made from a set of Harbor Freight cutters. The HF tool is good for roughing, and generaly speaking the carbide tools are great for those times when my skew is dull and/or I'm having a problem sharpening it. When my skew is sharp it leaves the blanks nicely finished and don't even need to sand.

I don't think the carbide tools raise my skill level as much as they allow me to use less of it. Like the skew though, they can be unforgiving if not used properly. The carbides seem to be much less forgiving than a skew, and that lets me concentrate more on shaping and finishing the piece whereas the skew demands attention to a little more. Of course, the carbides don't need good honing skills (Excepting the HF tool I made. That needed to be re-beveled and sharpened).

Lenny

I love my woodchuck pen pro! Can't imagine turning pens without it. Oh, I could ... But I don't want to! Well worth the money and I feel good about supporting a fellow IAP member!

deemka

I bought my set from RusDemka.

He makes full and mini sets and the price is right.

I just realized Dema is not on this site. Here is a link to his cutters.

F/S 3 Piece mini tool set for Easy wood tool Carbide cutters

I am a member here, just havnt visited for a while, too many forums :rolleyes:
anyway, i use carbides tools that i made myself and it didnt cost me $120, there is nothing wrong with buying the genuine tools if your budget allows you to, but mine doesnt, so i make my own because i have access to a machine shop. I love to use th carbides especially on ALumilite and some of the harder wood pen blanks, i mainly use my mini set,, :laugh:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f15...ece-mini-tool-set-ewt-carbide-cutters-108315/

Top Bottom