Buy blanks or cut your own ? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 24

I buy some species in precut blanks. But I am always on the lookout for special deals on slabs of wood or burls I can cut into knife scales, pepper mill blanks, bowl blanks, or pen blanks. I always keep my scraps & cut off's for small segmented pieces.

Bill
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Boards will, nearly always, be cheaper.

So, if you can find a board with excellent grain that will convert to pen blanks with no waste--you got a winner!!

However, straight grained pens are "run of the mill". You want to make "showpiece pens", you need to get burls or wild grain of some sort. With those you will have a LARGE amount of waste. If you buy pen blanks--you have a much better idea of what the pen will look like----sometimes you will still be fooled, but not as often as buying a "chunk" and guessing what the middle will yield. Also, unfortunately, I have never been able to buy a burl that was exactly 4.5-5", so I could get blanks without waste.

IF you are just making "gift pens for the family", straight grain may be fine for you and a board can be a cost-effective purchase.
Unless you happen to have 50 mulberry crowns in your back yard! Then you can get all the burly wild grain you want . I don't know what I am going to do with all this stuff. I have cut up two of these crowns and I have several hundred blanks. Now what do I do with the other 48 crowns? I can't BEAR the idea of him taking them to the dump. I think I'll load them in the back of my truck and head across country like Johnny Appleseed, strewing them along the way at every penturner I can find!
Make sure you zip through Florida!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Quote:
Unless you happen to have 50 mulberry crowns in your back yard! Then you can get all the burly wild grain you want . I don't know what I am going to do with all this stuff. I have cut up two of these crowns and I have several hundred blanks. Now what do I do with the other 48 crowns? I can't BEAR the idea of him taking them to the dump. I think I'll load them in the back of my truck and head across country like Johnny Appleseed, strewing them along the way at every penturner I can find!

Trade them or Sell them on woodbarter.com!!

Last edited by WildThings; 01-07-2013 at 06:14 PM.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

One thing to consider with buying exotic wood bowl blanks, is that they are never dry. They are almost always dipped in wax to keep them from checking. It will take time before you can use them as pen blanks. Much better chance of buying dry pen blanks, or dry lumber.
low_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Did I mention that most of them are about three feet across and weigh upward of 200 lbs?

Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Quote:

Trade them or Sell them on woodbarter.com!!

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

I turned pens for Christmas presents using the mesquite from my firewood pile. They all seem to like the personal touch. I guess I will pick up pieces of other woods on vacation and tells the person recieving the pen just where it came from. I think that gives a very personal touch. Someone gave me some ironwood from their yard so my next project is to make him a personal pen. Up in northen AZ. the common wood is pine , too soft for pens, so intend to flood it with CA and see how it goes.
anneb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I buy both. I buy some specific pen blanks on Ebay that I like the looks of and also slabs/chunks on Ebay if I can get them for not too much and just saw them up. Some of the burl slabs I've purchased were coated in wax but that's not a huge issue for me, as I like to fill voids and such with various colored inlays. I'll saw up a handful of blanks and set aside for a while. They dry faster in that state (cut into pen blanks), and if they check, crack, etc...that's just going to create some extra inlay work, which will give the end product a little more "pizazz".

1st place - 2013 IAP Intermediate Beautiful Pen contest
2nd place - 2014 IAP Advanced Beautiful Pen contest
Hendu3270 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 4

+1 on Ed's comment. Very unlikely to find exhibition grade blanks by the board foot. You have to buy those from whoever was lucky enough to find the source, and you want to see what you are getting.

Just did 100 purpleheart slims that I ripped from a board.

If I am going to put $15-$30 worth of hardware on it -- it better be some really nice wood!
plano_harry is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 10

[quote=sbwertz;1485601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Boards will, nearly always, be cheaper.

Well be sure to stop by Chattanooga!! I'd love to take some off of your hands.

Last edited by BURLMAN; 01-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 9

If you only need two blanks, it's cheaper to buy two $5 blanks than it is to buy a $20 board and cut it into 15 blanks. If you want a lot of blanks from the same wood, then the board is cheaper.

Of course actual pricing and availability become big factors, too. Some woods are easier to find in small pieces.